DVLA registration

Anything to do with motorcyles
gray3403

DVLA registration

Post by gray3403 »

I have been trying to get my 1976 Morini Sport registered and had sent all my paperwork in to the VMCC.
I find out now after 3 months that VMCC is going to be re structured and the library closed.
They are going to send me all my paperwork back.
Does anyone know where else I can get a dating certificate or anyone that can process this registration.
Thanks. David Gray.
MickeyMoto

Re: DVLA registration

Post by MickeyMoto »

David,

Lussoveloce should do a dating certificate.

You can do the registration paperwork yourself.

You need NOVA registration and the DVLA form. There is a first registration fee. For you, no Road tax.

I ordered the form online.

Mike.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As Mike says, go to Lusso Veloce /Old NLM. They have done two for me.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
gray3403

Post by gray3403 »

Mike, sorry haven't checked the forum for a couple of days.
I've done the Nova and have done all the paperwork.
It's really just the dating certificate I need.
I had actually thought that the whole presentation had to come from an approved person/ club etc like VMCC.
I take it as you suggest that I can submit all this myself once I have the cert,.
I have the Italian log book which pretty much confirms the date anyway.
Thanks for the name. I will be on to them right away and let you know how I get on.
David.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello David,

If you have the log book it is even easier. As the bike is old there are very few boxes to fill on the V55/5 form. Most of them are for type approval, emmisons, weight, lots of commercial vehicle questions. It's £55 first registration fee and you need a cover note for the insurance. The dating certificate has to come from an approved source.

I'll let you know when my application is returned because I forgot to fill in my inside leg measurement, religion, ethnicity etc.

Unfortunately, I have just noticed my short sighted MoT tester has got the frame number slightly wrong. Grr.

I also sent a photo of the frame number.

Mike.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

In fact, you may not need a dating certificate if you have the original log book.. just re read the notes. Mine doesn't have a log book, so is a bit harder.

Try here for the form and the guidance is available from the same page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -time-v555
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

gray3403 wrote:Mike,
I had actually thought that the whole presentation had to come from an approved person/ club etc like VMCC.
I take it as you suggest that I can submit all this myself once I have the cert,.
I have the Italian log book which pretty much confirms the date anyway.
Thanks for the name. I will be on to them right away and let you know how I get on.
David.
Yes as Mike suggests it is allowed for you to do the whole application yourself. And NLM are approved by DVLA.
The original log book is a good thing too. You have to send any originals (if you have them) in to DVLA but make sure you keep copies of it. DVLA denied having received my application with German log book and I foolishly didn't ask for registered post when I sent it in.
So I applied again with a covering letter telling them what had happened. Within a fortnight I had a V5c. Only thing is, they had used my original application with original German papers (the ones they never received) and the cheque I sent with that. Then a week later I got another V5c. Some months after that they got in touch complaining my cheque had bounced (I cancelled it when they 'didn't' receive it) In the end I only had to pay the road tax and they 'forgot' about the registration fee.
If you get desperate and have to ring them (I did) it's like calling Acorn Antiques. The senior staff member put me on hold while she 'checked the system'. As she just put the phone down on her desk I could hear every word of the conversation with her colleague.
From that call I gather a lot of paperwork falls off the desk or down the back of the filing cabinet, so even though most of DVLA is very computerised and properly streamlined, not every department is. This took place only 18 months ago.
My mates Kanguro application sailed through! I think he sent chocolate biscuits with his paperwork.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
mark2cv

Post by mark2cv »

What do I do if I have no papers for my bike, I bought a 250 2c project and it is coming along well but I have no idea how to go about registering it. I believe it may be a Spanish import that has sat in a UK shed for 10 years. Can any one point me in the right direction please.
buzby

Post by buzby »

I've done this for several bikes. The first thing I would do is the NOVA certificate downloaded from GOV.UK, a dating letter from Lusso Veloce and probably then a MOT certificate.Every thing then sent off to the DVLA.
It does take time so start as soon as possible.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
mark2cv

Post by mark2cv »

Hmm just tried the Nova form. It asks for lots of things I don't know, like who supplied it date of first registration, (or invoice details for purchase if not known) and when it came in UK . Do I expect an import tax bill on completing the form? how do they calculate it if I put nil as the purchase price?
buzby

Post by buzby »

Fill in any info that you have and add photos ,a dating letter would be good as well. Add a letter explaining that you bought it as a project, in pieces or whatever.
I bought a 250 vee in pieces last year on ebay. I had no paper work of any sort and they decided I did not have to pay any import tax on it.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

My recent experience with DVLA was when I wanted to obtain the V5C (registration document) for a bike I'd bought with only 1/3rd of the UK number plate on the bike and no other paperwork. I had to complete similar paperwork, provide photos, answer far too many questions I didn't know the answers to, etc. My two key tips for success are:

1) send anything recorded delivery
2) they actually reply to emails, part of the long-winded process ended up being done by email (which took several weeks to be answered at times). The email address is not accepted for general requests sadly, as they say:
This email account should only be contacted regarding this specific query. Please be aware that any general queries you have in the future should be sent to DVLA via the appropriate channels.
Also they originally rejected my request telling me they had no record of my bike, I politely challenged their lack of records as I'd provided the full frame number - I sent a photo of the partial number plate which seemed to be enough to convince them to try searching again - this time they found it even though I hadn't provided any new information.

During one of the long (multi-week delays) I kindly asked them whether they had a problem as they were beyond their published timescales for dealing with requests - again that seemed to help finally get what I needed which was confirmation they'd issue a V5C which they did a few weeks later.

I've a Kanguro where I have a dating letter from Stuart (who ran NLM and is the father of Chris of Lusso Veloce) and a NOVA I managed to complete online. I still need to finish building the bike and get it MOT'd before I apply for the UK Registration. Stuart has provided so many dating letters that DVLA accept them - if you ever meet Stuart he can tell you many stories of his experiences when NOVA's were introduced.

Good luck and please let us know your experience and any tips.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have heard there is an 8 week backlog...
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I've taken far longer than 8 weeks so far... So I might be riding it legally by the end of 2020 :)
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Just to add to this post a recent development- We (The UK Morini Riders Club) are now able to write dating letters for club members.

Please get in touch with the club's machine registrar if you need our help

registrar(AT)morini-riders-club.com