Choke cables

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Choke cables

Post by 3potjohn »

How does one change choke cables? I have a bike now which has cable operated chokes. There is a cable splitter hiding under the tank, sharing it’s location with a pair of brilliantly accessible fuses.And I thought a BMW was fiddlesome with the headlight mounted fuses. I always externalise these with waterproof blades .Another project “looms”.
One cable from splitter has either a too long inner or a too short outer.The freeplay is ridiculous. I checked the choke mechanism and it is not sticking.
I opened the splitter ( are they Domino splitters?) but was unsure about heaving on things any further.
John
Steve Brown

Re: Choke cables

Post by Steve Brown »

I think the easiest way is to remove the choke plunger from the top of the carb and detach the cable there first. Unhook the single cable at the lever end and you should have enough free play to unscrew the splitter and unhook the nipple in there from the sliding bit. Not sure who made the original splitter but have seen them on a few bikes.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Re: Choke cables

Post by 3potjohn »

Thanks for the tip. I am now puzzling over a recalcitrant indicator (right turn) warning light. It has a blue/white and green/black feed and there is continuity between the terminals in the wedge bulb holder and the respective pins on the wiring connector that feeds it.The left hand one works fine. Maybe it’s the elefant in the room.
Have to think.......
John