Camel 501 - Stuck in Gear

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
jb666

Camel 501 - Stuck in Gear

Post by jb666 »

Hi All,
I've been recommissioning the 5000 mile 501 Camel I brought over from the US and today was the big day to see if it ran after the various works - none engine internal related. When tightening the flywheel nut I put it in 6th stood on the rear brake and click-clicked it on my torque wrench. Then I couldn't get it to go back down the box. I found a neutral between 5th and 6th and kicked it over and the engine runs quite nicely. I slipped the clutch to get the gearbox spinning and hopefully downshift from there but nothing.
The linkages are running free so any suggestions before I do a lot of bad word saying and strip the engine down would be welcomed.

John.
norbert

Re: Camel 501 - Stuck in Gear

Post by norbert »

Have you tried without the motor running and turning the rear wheel to push the gear pedal down to 5, 4, ...
That´s strange, because obviously you could raise the gears up to 6th :roll:
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi Norbert,

Yes I've tried rocking the back wheel without the engine running but still no joy. Yes as you say it went up into top gear so I can't see why it won't come back down!!

I've left it out in the garden to sunbathe - perhaps it will feel better later!!

John.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hope it does feel better soon! Someone recently had a similar problem but then realised he was trying to change upside down! Could happen...

Other than that it may just be an unlucky coincidence with a selector spring or something else failing? Not much help as it means an engine strip :(
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi
A lot of rear wheel travel is needed in
6th to change gear.
Pull clutch in and use the kickstarter to rotate the gears whilst operating the lever.
Mark
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi All,

Well the good news is the sunbathing did the trick - gave me a bit of time to think things through.

When I looked at things a bit closer I found the rose on the gearchange input shaft was just touching the clutch actuator arm and that was stopping the full movement on downshift. The clutch actuator arm was set right and the gearchange linkage was nicely set.

Problem overcome by nibbling a little off of the clutch actuator arm - only a couple of mm but enough - and full movement restored.

Next step MOT and UK registering.

Thanks for the suggestions!

John.