fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
steveffs

Re: fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Post by steveffs »

Ok guys . Thanks for the input i really appreciate your help.

The side stand/indicator bleeper 5 pin thing would without the resistance of the bleeper cause the indicators to flash faster or i am i being a muppet? so next question where can i get one ? cant find a part number anywhere so looking for alternative part or alternative wiring ideas.

Thanks for starter relay advice. I upgraded my RSV millie to 150 amp a few years ago so i have a 100 amp one knocking about so will fit that and relocate all the rear indicator earths somewhere else.

Here's to another day in the shed.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I wouldn't have thought that relay would affect the indicator speed. More likely the flasher relay wattage or the bulb wattage. Might even work better when they are properly earthed! :wink:
As for the bleeper thing, do you really want one?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi Guys

After another few days in the shed i have moved on to to the stator ( see other post about that!) and the exhaust system. I am fitting new stainless pipes and was just wondering what the advice would be about using exhaust paste and clamps. I have done a dry run and it all seems to fit with good friction fit joins so clamps no paste on the pipes? also do i paste up the exhaust gasket before tightening up the nut? I have pasted ports for some bikes but not all so thought it best to ask advice.

Cheers

Steve.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Here's my 2p worth.
Never used exhaust paste on mine except once a long time ago when I had to fit a non-original balance pipe that was slightly too big for the headers and needed paste to seal the resultant gaps. If everything slides nicely together, I would just fit it.
If all your clamps on the exhaust are stainless too, make sure that you use some 'neverseez' or 'copperslip' on the bolts or they may gall together.
Hope this helps,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

steveffs wrote:Hi I am rebuilding an X3 from a large pile of bits. I am currently stuck with the wiring. so before I start asking what wire goes where I thought I would ask if any one has a wiring diagram for the X3. Also is there a fuse box? all I have found is the Bakerlite junction box one inline fuse and one Diode connector.

Thanks for your help

Steve
Hi Steve,
I was looking for an X1 diagram for ages, but came across this colour copy for a 12v Kanguro -
It looks a match for the black and white copy posted earlier, I can't find a link from whence it came, so copied here as an image....
ESQUEMA_ELECTRICO_KANGURO_350_COLOR 12va.jpg
ESQUEMA_ELECTRICO_KANGURO_350_COLOR 12va.jpg (469.19 KiB) Viewed 7593 times

I hope that helps you out, and good luck with the repairs.
Cosmo
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada & 350 Kanguro special
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi Guys

I am finally putting the re re repaired stator back on the bike ( third time and hopefully the last ) but I have forgotten how the neutral wire exits the case and how the stator wires also exit. I vaguely remember a retaining plate for the stator wires but I cant remember what it looked like and where it went? I have found an approx 60 x 10mm strip of metal with a small hole in at one end that looks like a retaining plate. Can some one enlighten me

Cheers

Steve
haboola 72

Post by haboola 72 »

thats the one.
A strip of aluminium that is fixed by the bottom stator screw and lies obliquely to the rear, there's a helpful indentation in the LHS crankcase if my memory serves me...
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

If the aluminium strip is easy to bend then it sounds like the one fitted and used to hold the wires that emerge from the stator so they're safely away from the rotor. On my Kanguro it goes under the left most screw (roughly 9 o'clock) and is then gently shaped to hold the wiring away from the rotor, in effect it goes over the wiring that comes from the stator.

If a photo would help clarify just ask, I should be able to add one to the forum shortly (I've got my stator removed so I can rewire it and need to fit it to take the photos).

Julian
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi

If you could post a pic that would be helpful. Also what is the route for the neutral wire?

Cheers

Steve
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve,
norbert has already posted a good picture in a similar topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6111&start=15#p33564

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question and I'll add another photo.

Julian
norbert

Post by norbert »

Ah, this was the thread with the strip :wink:

As I said in the other topic, maybe on the X3 bikes the cables of the stator leave the righthandcover "downstairs" an go up along the right front tube of the frame. I don´t know that. Then you use the lower screw of the stator fixing. I´ve done it that way on Dulcinea because all the electronic is in the headlight housing and regulator and battery are under the tank.

Normaly there is a recess (right word?) in the right crankhousing close to the clutch lever, where these cables leave towards the central electric board under the side panel. But there exist also crankhousings without this recess. I know that only from some 501 motors. The "R" from the Camel 501 Electric Start with the old starter and Ducati ignition do have this recess. So I suspect that it may be missing only on the last motors with Kokussan ingnition and the external starter.

norbert
Last edited by norbert on 12 Jul 2020 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

My x3 stator wired did indeed leave through the recess in the crankcase and were clipped to the right side of the frame tube
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the advice. After having a massive hunt in the shed I finally found the correct retaining strip and by looking at scuff marks and with the advice I worked out it attached to bottom bolt with the plate at approx the 5 o/c position to keep the wiring as far from the flywheel as possible.

Now hopefully I am on the home stretch just a few questions.

On each carb I have two clear tubes each approx 25cm in length (4 in total) however in my now almost empty box of parts I have two clear tubes approx 1m in length with a short thinner tube
inserted in to one end. (They look like thinner versions of the rocker cover breather pipes) Does any one know how and where these pipes attach ?

I have run a tube of each carb for the vacuum feed attached to each other via a T piece and then I will run a pipe up to the fuel tap with the vacuum take off . Is that correct?

Cheers

Steve
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

undressed but almost there
undressed but almost there
IMG_1781.JPG (462.43 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
IT LIVES!!!!

Thanks for all the help. Finally got the bike up and running. No weird noises in fact rather pleased with the sound. Need to tune and balance the carbs and then hopefully will get the tank on in the next week or so for a ride up the alley!

Just a couple of hopefully simple questions.

Where does the horn locate?

how critical are the the rubber boots that go from the the throttle cables into the top of the carbs. Both of mine are a bit split?

Cheers

Steve
jb666

Post by jb666 »

The horn mounts on the front of the airbox on a U shaped bracket. As for the throttle cable seals for as long as I can remember they have been a point for attention as they can give an air leak which can affect carb balancing.

John.