Kanguro refresh

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Cosmo

Kanguro refresh

Post by Cosmo »

Hi Morini addicts,
Although familiar with working on Morinis (the missus has had a 3 1/2 since '89) I've never had one of my own until now, but I've always fancied a Vee twin off-roader.

I thought other owners may be interested in the result of a few months effort in giving my own recent acquisition a "light Refresh" after a few unloved years by the former owner........before
In need of some TLC!
In need of some TLC!
web.jpeg (110.12 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
and after pictures below.
IMG_20190310_160725b.jpg
IMG_20190310_160725b.jpg (138 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
IMG_20190310_160753b.jpg
IMG_20190310_160753b.jpg (107.65 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
Work done:
12v conversion, battery free & with LED's.
New bars, mudguards -UFO/Acerbis Vintage, modern front & rear lights & switches.
Refinished XT250 fuel tank & mounts - the original had seen far better days and I like the 1970's look from an e-bay bargain.
Seat re-foamed/shaped and recovered. (I now know why previous owner had a sheepskin!)
Sidestand made & old welds/bent stand ground off.
Broken rear wheel spokes replaced.
Broken/welded Kickstart replaced.
Front brake overhaul & braided hose & new cables etc.
New wheel bearings & chain.
Air filter modified, unrestricted with jetting as 3 1/2 strada running 112 jets - now far more get up & go!
A bit of paint here and there, but done without stripping the whole bike.
Powder coating to gear change, grab rail, pegs and outer engine covers etc. & generally tidied up.
Service & belt.
TKC80 enduro tyres.

A fair bit of work, but I'm now enjoying it for what it was built for!
Last edited by Cosmo on 10 Apr 2020 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada & 350 Kanguro special
Ming

Re: Kanguro refresh

Post by Ming »

I really like the look of that, with the XT tank. I did many miles on my Kanguros, but always felt the looks were a bit too 'angular'. Hope you enjoy yours as much.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I think the Kanguro doesn't actually look too bad compared to some jap 80's scramblers. Like you, I'm not keen on the angular look and prefer the rounder 70's styles. I was still surprised when I offered the tank up before painting, the XT tank looked like it grew there.
Tight fit though and needed modifying near the seat, the std Morini tank is a really odd shape over the frame there.
Cosmo
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

That does look good, especially the tank. Just finishing a project X1 Kanguro with a mate of mine. A good few comparisons!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Nice work !
I like the tank and round headlight.
Keep us updated.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Nice job Cosmo, just dragged my old x3 out of the back of the shed and trying to make my mind up what to do with it, like the xt tank and round head lamp look.
Regards Pete.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I wanted better lights, so I fitted a 12v boyer accumulator and a pattern RD 350LC 65/55 H4 headlamp. It's big but I like the look and works good.
Judging by all your kind comments, there'll be a few Kanguro owners looking for vintage XT or DT fuel tanks!
Bear in mind unless you move the transducers, the frame tunnel needs to be quite wide.

It sprung a major leak from the front rocker cover when out at speed yesterday though.
My waterproofs are now oily, and another job to do........ :(
Cosmo
Ming

Post by Ming »

Cosmo wrote:I wanted better lights, so I fitted a 12v boyer accumulator and a pattern RD 350LC 65/55 H4 headlamp...
I have a Boyer 'Power Box' on my Strada, works fine without any need for a battery. I also used one on my first Kanguro as it only had a ropey zener arrangement fitted. I suppose the transducers could be moved to the position of the Ducatielettronica regulator if a Boyer is used?
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Hi Ming,
The Kanguros have an odd 6v/12v wiring system like the Camels.
I removed the original Ducati electronica regulator and 6v battery completely which are both located in the sidepanel battery compartment. Like you, I fitted a Boyer 12v Power box, but it dropped into the original battery compartment - it fitted so well, it was even retained by the original battery clip! I fed it from the two remaining generator coil wires which don't supply the transducers.
I could fit a tiny 12v battery if I wanted to, I did include the wiring for one, but by reducing the lighting loads with indicator and rear light LED's it can run a 12v H4 headlamp without. The transducers didn't need to be moved with the XT tank I used - it's tight, but it fits over them on the top tube.
By the way, I couldn't get a wiring diagram for this X1 model and I had to make lots of notes to re-route lighting and left hand handlebar switch. I used a Honda CG 125 brazil/MTX unit, which has all the right switches to match my broken Morini original and is black, so looks nice.

It's a bit late now, but if anyone has a copy of an X1 wiring diagram, that'd help me in the future as I had to go "back to basics" to make it all work and it did give me rather a headache for a while!
Cosmo
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I've been putting some miles on the bike recently.
A few minor issues have been dealt with.
An air leak from one of the inlet manifolds was causing a popping exhaust. New SS jubilee clips sort that.
A few bolts gave come loose and bits fell off, - chain roller, rear pegs etc. now all loctite'd in place.

The clutch kept going out of adjustment. It appears the locknut thread was incorrect and not locking the grub screw despite feeling tight. It is an M7 fine pitch thread, I couldn't source one anywhere. No new ones available , but a used replacement from Mdina obtained and fitted.

The front brake lever was "catching" intermittently. It turned out the previous owner had fitted a washer behind the rubber of the disc brake master cylinder which was rubbing the casting. Removed it and not much better, it appears the cup on the piston pushrod was worn. Given the standard brake is completely wooden anyway, I replaced it with a chinese unit with a smaller diameter piston. A bit better feel, (but only slightly!).

The rear light repeatedly failed. I eventually traced it to the plastic bulb holder moulding of the enduro mudguard. A poorly made earth connector on the new mudguard factory wiring was the culprit. After re-making the joints, I've now got a reliable LED tail and stop light.

I'm very impressed with the Conti Twinduro tyres, really grippy road cornering in the dry and not the usual slippery sam knobblies in the wet either. A fair amount of grip in the mud too.
I've been trying not to rev the what's it's off it on the road. The low gearing is taking some getting used to, but all in all really enjoying the bike. :D
Attachments
IMG_20190518_163655-01.jpeg
IMG_20190518_163655-01.jpeg (221.6 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
duplicate-IMG_20190518_163210-01-02.jpeg
duplicate-IMG_20190518_163210-01-02.jpeg (222.05 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
IMG_20190518_163053-01.jpeg
IMG_20190518_163053-01.jpeg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
Cosmo
Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Hi Cosmo
I love what you have done to your Kanguro. I'm trying to put the first drum brake version back on the road.
Where did you get the Boyer from? Mine is still on the joint 6v / 12v system. Was it easy to fit? Did you get LED bulbs to go in the existing mounts or did you have to change those?
I see you have changed the rear light, are you interested in selling me your old one as mine is cracked?
Thanks Jon
Ming

Post by Ming »

You can get the Power Box here (and other places too, no doubt). https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/boyer-p ... r_1887.htm
You need the single phase one. I have one on a Strada, and have previously had one on a Kanguro. Don't remember the connections on the Kanguro, but probably as the Strada, where the two yellow stator cables are connected to the ac input of the box. The red cable from the stator is unused (ie isolated and tied back out of danger). I've had absolutely no trouble with them, with the advantage that you don't need a battery at all if you don't want one.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Hello Jon (Chippy),
The LED's were cheapo chinese ones designed as swap outs for the instrument lights, indicators and tail/stop so were straight fits and reduced the lighting loads by at least 35-45W on full load before thinking about the headlight. It did run a 55/60 W halogen and the all lights, stop and indicators worked without dying completely, but so I don't have to rev for a 12v horn or bright headlight I have since fitted an H4 LED in the Yamaha headlight. Everything works off tickover now with no issues at all and all the lights are aftermarket - KTM copy indicators, Yamaha LC headlight, the UFO enduro taillight comes with the plastics.
The Boyer powerbox I got directly from Boyer Bransden in Maidstone see google. The one I used was actually a Bi-Phase 3 wire regulator 12volt powerbox number PBOX00109.
As ming says one of the cores will not be needed on the 12v bikes if using a single phase one because it just replaces the rectifier but has the benefit of a sink. Therefore no battery needed. The transducers are powered by the 3rd core, however early Kanguros have a 4 wire feed due to the 6v battery and 12v headlight. Therefore the original regulator is removed and yellow, (original 6v feed via regulator) red (+battery) and grey (original 12v light via regulator pass through) go to the new Boyer to feed the 12v lighting circuits (2 yellows and a red/yellow on the Boyer) and the green off the bike stays as the transducer supply. A solid 12v + comes out of the box when running.

I do have the tail light and guards etc. but have kept all the vaguely serviceable tatty standard parts boxed and intend to keep them on ice as all my mods are fully reversible despite the change in looks.

I didn't see these posts as I was way up north enjoying myself on the Roo........ :D
Cosmo
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Here's what I was doing.....
IMG_20190808_100016_edited.jpeg
IMG_20190808_100016_edited.jpeg (182.82 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
450 miles in two days mainly single tracks or off roads in the Northwest Highlands and Skye in the company of a Ducati Desert Sled.
The Kanguro didn't miss a beat despite thrashing the living daylights out of it to keep up on the short main road sections.
Cosmo
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Very cool !

So for the electrically disabled persons (me) does what you just say mean I could do it to my mk1 Camel too ?