New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi all,
This week I should take delivery of a nice, low km mk1 Camel. I`m excited.
A bit about me.
Nearly 60, been into bikes since 14. Owned many Italian bikes, Ducati`s (older stuff) 2 x 3 1/2 Sport Morini`s and a 125 Morini Corsaro Special. Guzzi`s, KTM`s and Aprilia`s. Even Montesa (was my first 2 bikes) Started on dirt, went road for many years then got the dirt bug again so mixed road and dirt till now.
Present bikes are 2004 Aprilia Tuono Racing (keeper) and KTM 990 Adventure (now selling to fund Camel) Some may say I`m mad to sell the kato to get the Camel. We will see.
I have spannered on all of my bikes. I like to keep them in excellent running condition.

For now I would like some info, without searching forever in this fantastic forum.....

What oil should I use ? Perth is a warm climate. I use Castrol T4 (non synth) in my bikes. Happy with it. Not convinced full synth is worth it but open to advise.
What fuel should I use 91 95 98 ? I have read that a fuel additive is a good idea.
I believe it has had an upgraded ignition system fitted. How can I tell ?
What spark plugs to use ?
Cam belt change out intervals ?

Thanks for any replies in advance. I plan to be around here for quite a while, so pics etc will follow.
Cheers,
Ross.
Attachments
It`s my new one.
It`s my new one.
IMG_4024.JPG (112.42 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
My fleet for a while.
My fleet for a while.
Guzzi`s 2.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
Loved the little one.
Loved the little one.
Duck and Morini.jpg (109.15 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
Last edited by rossguzzi on 28 Jan 2019 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Brown

Re: New to me mk1 Camel in OZ.

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ross and welcome to the club and Camel ownership. Looks a pretty good one in the pics too!
As for your questions, oil is always a question but I think it fair to say that these bikes aren't too picky about it. They seem to be fine on 10W/40 or 20W/50. I've used both for a long time and my 350 was on 20W/50 from new in 1977 for 15 yrs and 90 odd thousand miles. Just regular changes and wash the screen that never seems to get dirty!
You could post pics of the ignition pick ups or the transducers under the tank maybe? Or take a look at the Dutch clubs website, there are a lot of pics there of the various standard ignition parts and some of the 'upgrade' types too. I'd suggest NGK BP7ES or equivalent plugs. Avoid resistor types unless you have a very strong ignition system or on of the upgrade types-but not all of them like resistors either.
Fuel? Regular unleaded is fine, at least over here in the UK climate. Again these bikes aren't too fussy! Have fun with it. :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks Steve.
Wow, 90 000 miles !
I knew these motors were reliable, but that is impressive. I hope I get such a long life from mine.
Regular changes.......5000 kms ? Or less.
Is that on original valves/pistons/rings ?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

It was original parts till a) 30,000 miles when the timing side main bearing failed, no other parts damaged. It did almost as much again till I decided to tune it and go racing at around 60k miles. After that I was always swapping cams and heads with bigger valves etc. It got hard to remember which bits were the originals. So, it's had a few rebuilds but it only really needed one or two of them. It's now up around the 135,000 mark. Oil changes by the service book in the past but now it's annual as I don't do so many miles on it. :-)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I use 10/40 semi synthetic and change annually, about 5,000 Kms.

Belt is changed annually and I use a $10 belt from RS components here. Usually a Continental.
Angelo63

Post by Angelo63 »

I cannot be indifferent to a mk1 Camel.
But can I complain about the rotated photo that shows only part of the bike? Make me admire it entirely, please!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

When it arrives I will post more pics. That was one he sent me highlighting any scratches etc before transport.
Cheers,
Angelo63

Post by Angelo63 »

I'm looking forward to see more pics.

If you need spares I can try to help.
Ciao. Angelo.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I get it tomorrow !
So far, I think all it needs is perhaps a front guard. It has one but the paint is badly chipped. Not sure why, maybe it was bent. Repainting may be good enough.
I will see tomorrow :)
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Ross,
looks like fun, I really hope it gets used ;)

When you get underneath you'll quite probably see "Castrol GTX" on the sump plug. As said previously, they aren't very fussy, GTX semi-synth is good. Many here advocate using the cheapest oil but changing it often. I commute on mine and change it twice a year. I buy what decent 10w40 is on special from Repco - Duckhams/Shell/ GTX but never the $19.95 one!

I'm another one who gets $10 Conti timing belts from RS here in NZ. Change every 2 years or something Ks - check the NL site. To avoid the risk of messing up your timing during the swap, you can change it by slitting the old one halfway along its length, then get rid of the half closest to you. You now have room to slide the new one part-way on, then cut off the rest of the old one as you push on the new. Job done.

Petrol: I often use 95 or 98 if I'm going on a trip and used to use a Morey's head additive but haven't for years. Forget about it.

Something often overlooked is to check your plugs and plug-caps are both the type without resistors. The devil's work.

Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I like the belt slitting idea, will save all that double checking etc when changing the belt; I also use Conti belts from RS.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Well it arrived this morning. Buying a bike sight unseen is always a risk. But I'm happy to say it is OK. Now I should qualify that I am not completely anal, but like things just right.

So the good;
Paint on tank, side covers, rear guard, seat, basic mechanics are all there, motor seems very good as in not as rattly as I thought it might be. Good compression.

The not so good;
Front guard is disintegrating. Not sure if it is salvageable.
Frame has some scratches etc. But it is genuine paint and it is a 30 + year old bike.
Clutch while it works well could perhaps do with a new cable or a decent lube. Has modern clutches spoilt me ?
Front brake needs a bit of fettling.
Exhaust has been cut and welded 2 into 1 (bit rough) then a muffler stuck on. Not sealed well on the joint.
Front forks leaking. New seals and oil needed.

In future;
I may just get the frame repainted, possibly add a bash plate (there is lots of gravel tracks in the hills here)
Check/replace oils, valves, carbs (cables a bit stiff)
and use the bike. It won't be a garage queen that's for sure but would like to show it at the odd bike meet etc.

Some pics.
Is this the upgraded ignition system ?
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

OK, seems my pics are too big to load. Will try later.
Cheers.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Is this the standard or upgraded ignition ?
Attachments
IMAG3462_1.jpg
IMAG3462_1.jpg (313.53 KiB) Viewed 15825 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

More hours of fun whilst we determine which colour transducers work with the red pickup... :)