Ducatidiag (JpDiag) great news, and questions

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
franco82

Ducatidiag (JpDiag) great news, and questions

Post by franco82 »

Hi Guys,
I have a great news. JP continue with development of his flashing and diagnostic software. You can now even get ECU license for free http://jpl250rs.perso.sfr.fr/.

I bought cable and started investigation of flashing just in time when JP decided to close his ducatidiag site. I even downloaded MM maps pack, when closing was announced. But I had computer failure after few days and I even dont have these most recent maps. Can anyone of you guys help me with preparation for flashing I am planning after warranty expires. I need thing, that were on the original forum.

1, How to do a cable test to be sure it will not fry ECU
2, How to connect the cable (I know there was a sequence to connect cable, turn on ignition...)
3, Step by step guide for map download and backup
4, step by step guide to write a map
5, Does anyone of you have most recent maps for corsaro ideally with description? I know there were CORA CORC or something like that. For open and standard exhaust.

Thank you for any info,
Zdenek
MisterMorini

Re: Ducatidiag (JpDiag) great news, and questions

Post by MisterMorini »

Hello,

Indeed JP is continuing the development but of the Diagnostics part only. The ECU writer has always been a separate software and is discontinued. If you read the release notes of the latest diagnostics part then you'll notice ECU dumping (reading the map) has been dropped as well. So what's left is a pure diagnostics package that doesn't allow reading nor writing the ECU.

No problem, there's a new kid on the block and it is called GuzziDiag and can be found here:
http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/
Best of all is that it is completely free of charge and available for a selection of computer OS.
Uses the same kind of cables as Ducatidiag & associated tools.

To answer your questions:

1) see adapter test on GuzziDiag site. Also look for Youtube movies about the use of GuzziDiag.
2) Connect everything and the software will tell you when to switch on or off the ignition. SW is very simple and self-explanatory.
3) IAW5xReader -> connects & do what the SW tells you.
4) IAW5xWriter -> connects & do what the SW tells you.
5) Check the "Corsaro runs rich" topic in this forum, a post with the links to a Google drive.

I have all maps too so if it doesn't work out with the link in the other posts then just say so.
franco82

Post by franco82 »

MisterMorini you are excellent! I must get it all working on NB to test it, but now I finally collected it all. The holland document is perfect (except english version would be better, but google translate saves the day). Are there any issues with converting files from ddg to bin? The writer uses bin files?
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

Hi Zdenek,

In the aforementioned Google Drive there's a subdirectory called 'Guzzidiag'. In it there's a zip file called "bin-Flashfiles - 12 files.zip". There you have them, the most popular BIN files. :D

DDG files cannot be converted easily to BIN files. In fact DDG is a Ducatidiag encrypted format and the only people having access to the encryption keys are JP himself and MaGax from the French forum (Arnaud Charpentier) the writer of the ECM tool to modify mappings. MaGax can make the conversion but promised JP that he would never release a tool to the general public that can perform this conversion.

The alternate method is what Günni from the German ital-web forum and also active on this forum did and that is to flash the DDG to the ECU using the old Ducatidiag Writer license and subsequently read them back in using the GuzziDiag IAW5xReader. He did this for all the interesting maps and the result is the ZIP file that you can find on the Google drive.

Regarding the maps, you probably have 23ACMORCORA in your bike as it is a 2012 model I think. This map is the EURO 3 compliant 2010 map with lambda ON. Driveability at low revs improves quite a bit if you reflash the 23ACMORCORA_OL which is the open loop variant so without lambda. Once lambda is de-activated you can further tune using the CO trimmer but the default base setting should be CO=0. To be honest if you ride with DB-killers inserted then I would rather recommend using "EbisUltimativeRace05.bin" which picks up better at low revs and has a super smooth throttle response throughout the entire rev range. Don't be fooled by the word "race" in the name. That's because it was derived from a race map that seemed to perform best but in reality it is a street map for use with DB killers.

For open exhaust the "23ACMOLK22C" or "23ACMOLK22D" aka Race maps are the ones of choice but fuel consumption will go up a lot and there will be more black smoke at the exhaust and rich exhaust fumes too. Personally I would not recommend going this route.

There's another map not part of this list but I have it in BIN format since I asked MaGax to convert it. It's 23ECMOLCORC. This sort of is a Morini original hybrid map between the Race and Euro 3 and without lambda.

To be honest, try with DB-killers inserted and use Ebi's map. Chances are you are going to be very happy with that.

Also, after flashing best to perform a TPS reset and verify with the engine running over 40°C that the CO is set to 0.

Rgds & fun wished
Guy

Note: the 12 maps also contain Granpasso maps (the 'GP' ones) and for the Avio ('AVG' ones). So don't flash these into your Corsaro.
franco82

Post by franco82 »

Hi Guy,
many thanks for complete info and description of maps. I was wondering what OL suffix mean and now it is clear. Yes I suppose I will find CORA map on my bike, you are right it is 2012 model year. I would not bother you with all these questions, but as ducatidiag forum disappear, there is no source of information for me. There is the German ital-web forum, but I am not good German speaker and using google translate does not help all the time.

To be honest I am currently quite happy with my corsaro. But of course I was curious about behaviour of another maps. As I wrote it in my thread about termis, the sound of closed termis is good, fuel economy is decent (8l/100km), power delivery is smooth with no drops, no flaws at all.
With guzzi diag and info you provided I have the option to change map quite easily. I can use the open one for track days or wild Sunday ride and keep the standard for everything else. With open exhaust I possibly have to use ear plugs to save my senses, I will be worried when crossing border about police and penalty, I would pay more for fuel and probably the engine will not run any better. So permanent open exhaust setup and map is not an option for me, but once or twice a year it will be perfect!

Thank you again for your help,
Zdenek
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

franco82 wrote:Hi Guy,
many thanks for complete info and description of maps. I was wondering what OL suffix mean and now it is clear. Yes I suppose I will find CORA map on my bike, you are right it is 2012 model year. I would not bother you with all these questions, but as ducatidiag forum disappear, there is no source of information for me. There is the German ital-web forum, but I am not good German speaker and using google translate does not help all the time.

To be honest I am currently quite happy with my corsaro. But of course I was curious about behaviour of another maps. As I wrote it in my thread about termis, the sound of closed termis is good, fuel economy is decent (8l/100km), power delivery is smooth with no drops, no flaws at all.
With guzzi diag and info you provided I have the option to change map quite easily. I can use the open one for track days or wild Sunday ride and keep the standard for everything else. With open exhaust I possibly have to use ear plugs to save my senses, I will be worried when crossing border about police and penalty, I would pay more for fuel and probably the engine will not run any better. So permanent open exhaust setup and map is not an option for me, but once or twice a year it will be perfect!

Thank you again for your help,
Zdenek
Hi Zdenek,
No problem, helping eachother and sharing experiences that's what forums are for :D
It is sort of my payback for the info & tips I received from those that were before me :)

One thing, I would recommend always wearing some sort of earplugs, http://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/motorcycle/
it accumulates over the years but the risk is that some day your ears start ringing permanently and then it's for the rest of your life. I know from my own experience and it is no fun.

Regarding the maps; I have flashed Ebi's map recently and it make the bike feel more refined, more developed in terms of smoothness and throttle response. More easy to negotiate tight bends or roundabouts at low speeds and low rpm. It picks up more cleanly as of 2000rpm. Fuel consumption with this one depending how you ride is between 6 and 7 L. Well try and experience what's best for you.

best regards
Guy
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Regarding the maps; I have flashed Ebi's map recently and it make the bike feel more refined, more developed in terms of smoothness and throttle response. More easy to negotiate tight bends or roundabouts at low speeds and low rpm. It picks up more cleanly as of 2000rpm. Fuel consumption with this one depending how you ride is between 6 and 7 L. Well try and experience what's best for you.

best regards
Guy
MisterMorini

Hi Mister Morini
This is all very good stuff. Thanks for the input.
I want to have my bike less aggressive in its response to the throttle, (like it's a pain doing long distances in traffic) so I'd like to try this Ebi map you are talking about. Where to start as a novice is the question. I have 2 x ECU's which came with the bike, one of which is a race ECU, or so it states on the can.
What I don't want to do is Fxxx it all up.
I loaded ducatidiag some time ago but didnt have the guts to hurt my bike, but you seem to portray it as being simple.
What about a step by step guide to help?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
günni

Post by günni »

hi chips,
for flashing your ecu you choose the free IAW5xWriter from guzzidiag-site.
don`t worry, the process is quite simple. here are some screenshots of one flash-process, maybe it helps

start the writer
guzzi_writer_1a.jpg
guzzi_writer_1a.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 32815 times

choose a map
guzzi_writer_1.jpg
guzzi_writer_1.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 32815 times
guzzi_writer_2.jpg
guzzi_writer_2.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 32815 times
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
günni

Post by günni »

switch on ignition
guzzi_writer_2a.jpg
guzzi_writer_2a.jpg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 32815 times
flash-process is starting
guzzi_writer_3.jpg
guzzi_writer_3.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 32815 times
process successfull completed
guzzi_writer_4.jpg
guzzi_writer_4.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 32815 times
günni

Post by günni »

last of all, switch of the ignition for 10 seconds
guzzi_writer_5b.jpg
guzzi_writer_5b.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 32814 times
that`s all!
if you choosed a map without lambda, please have a look at the CO-trimm with warm and running engine!

regards
günni
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Thanks Gunni
I will try prepare myself and the bike, after installing the race ECU as I'm not going racing, and practice on that, slowly.
Please accept I may try to contact you if I get stuck.
Cheers
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
günni

Post by günni »

Chips1953 wrote: Please accept I may try to contact you if I get stuck.
Cheers
no problem :D
don`t forget a tps-reset after installing the other ecu. :wink:
MisterMorini

Post by MisterMorini »

Chips1953 wrote:Regarding the maps; I have flashed Ebi's map recently and it make the bike feel more refined, more developed in terms of smoothness and throttle response. More easy to negotiate tight bends or roundabouts at low speeds and low rpm. It picks up more cleanly as of 2000rpm. Fuel consumption with this one depending how you ride is between 6 and 7 L. Well try and experience what's best for you.

best regards
Guy
MisterMorini

Hi Mister Morini
This is all very good stuff. Thanks for the input.
I want to have my bike less aggressive in its response to the throttle, (like it's a pain doing long distances in traffic) so I'd like to try this Ebi map you are talking about. Where to start as a novice is the question. I have 2 x ECU's which came with the bike, one of which is a race ECU, or so it states on the can.
What I don't want to do is Fxxx it all up.
I loaded ducatidiag some time ago but didnt have the guts to hurt my bike, but you seem to portray it as being simple.
What about a step by step guide to help?
Hi,
Have been absent for a while. Meanwhile I see that Gunni already answered your queries.
Besides the explanation how the software works you'll also need the cables like these (both) if you don't have them yet:

KKL Cable USB-OBD2: http://www.amazon.fr/OBD2-OBD-II-C%C3%A ... s=usb+obd2

Adapter OBD2 to Fiat 3-pin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-to-16-Pin ... 0892691664

Best is to choose the KKL with FTDI chipset. Works best but other serial chips will do too.
If you can, avoid cables using the "prolific" serial chip. There are a lot of fake Chinese chips on the market which don't work with the auto-updated drivers on Windows.

Rgds
guy
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Best is to choose the KKL with FTDI chipset. Works best but other serial chips will do too.
If you can, avoid cables using the "prolific" serial chip. There are a lot of fake Chinese chips on the market which don't work with the auto-updated drivers on Windows.

Rgds
guy
MisterMorini

I await the cables not sure if they are prolific or not. What do you do for a living?
What does the chip do? convert ascii to code?
Thanks any way, let the game commence.
Hope I don't create a Frankenstein Morini. The last thing she resembles is Kermit in a blender according to some, which will not hold a neck bolt.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Dear Gunni and Guy.
The cables arrived today and it's all becoming as clear as mud.
Prolific is a manufacturer as is the the mnemonic FTDI.
One cable is a USB to serial port converter and the other is a serial port to ECU adapter.

So here is my first question.
Is it possible to do this on the bench with the ECU powered by a 12 supply or does it need to to be installed into the bike?
I suspect doing it on the bench is OK as I cant see manufacturers loading blank ECU's into vehicles and then loading them on the production, maybe wrong.

I will be doing the load soon, but can I save the contents onto my PC of the so called Race ECU?
Hope these questions are not too inane, Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965