250 2C

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
72degrees

Re: 250 2C

Post by 72degrees »

It's 30 years since my 2C had a 250 engine, but the early 350s were very economical. I remember regularly getting 70 mpg out of my Strada. I do remember the 250 as a very sweet engine unit and free revving. Which it has to be to keep up with family cars these days so ridden briskly the economy may not be much better.

The original Sebac rear suspension units aren't the world's best but the Paiolis on the front aren't bad at all. The handling is pin sharp. The smaller diameter 250 brake master cylinder actually gives a better single disc brake than on a 350 in my opinion. There are times I wish it had a side stand, but it's hardly heavy to get on and off the centre stand. The l6v lights are dismal but I assume a 12v conversion may be possible. It was easy enough just fitting a 350 reg/rec and a 12v battery when I put the 350 motor in to mine.

Have you actually ridden one? I don't know if NLM permit road tests on the bikes they have for sale. Some would disagree, but I would never buy a model of bike that I hadn't tried beforehand or at least a similar one.
Trekmac

Post by Trekmac »

Thanks for the reply 72 degrees. No I haven't ever ridden one. I have always fancied a Morini or Guzzi. I am caught between the 250 and a Guzzi V35. A Kawasaki Er5 is also in the mix as, being a bland Japanese bike, it is several hundred pounds cheaper and 80% of my miles are commuting.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

If it really is going to be primarily a commuter I have to say that I'd be looking at something with easily available parts if you do a high total mileage. I dare say a 2C can be kept on the road without major drama as they are pretty reliable mechanically as far as I know and I imagine you can retrofit the new NLM ignition system if required. You have to bear in mind that it is a 30 year old machine. Even if well maintained, age can eventually compromise parts that don't actually wear out. I suspect some 250 specific parts might already be unobtainium as new (though NLM should be able to advise) and there are far fewer around than 350s as a supply of used parts.

It would make a very agile commuter if much town riding is involved, but an ER5 might make more sense to the head rather than the heart.
Trekmac

Post by Trekmac »

You've summed it up. Heart says Morini/Guzzi, head says UJM. The 250 is a particularly nice bike and the only affordable Morini but the parts issue has crossed my mind. Guzzi parts will be more available but ultimately I would expect a newer Japanese machine to be more reliable. The ER I have seen though is showing 26500 miles but the gear rubber is very worn and so it could have been a courier bike and has no service history. I have ridden an Er5 and found it fine, much better than my 250 superdream as getting to 60 was effortless, which can't be said about the Honda!
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Why not try a Monster?? Far nicer than jap rubbish, and a piece of cake to maintain. A 600 is OK but a 750/800 is better and not really expensive to purchase.
I use an ST2 for commuting (85 miles a day), and it cost £1500 fo a 2003 model, but needed new belts and an air sensor (less than £100 in spares). It is a little heavy for round town though, especially if you leave the baggage on!!
Use the Morini once or twice a week!!!?
Trekmac

Post by Trekmac »

Funyn you should mention a Monster. I was discussing it with the Ducati dealer yesterday. I'm a year away I think from getting one. I fancy something different for this year rather than sticking with the superdream. I really like Morinis and Guzzis but my head is telling me to stick with the Honda or get a Kawasaki for little money and sell it on next year. I can't afford to keep and run two bikes. The main reason for wanting a change is the fuss it takes to get from 50-60 on the superdream.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Trekmac wrote:Does anyone know what sort of real world fuel economy I could expect from a 250? I am not a speed freak but I do use twisty B roads.
Thanks
I think I got around 80+mpg from mine, possibly over 100mpg at times.

They're small bikes and you may find yourself cramped, but the 'ace' bars can be re-assembled upside-down to give a slightly raied bar (it's in the user handbook).

What parts do you think you're going to need? In regular use they're reliable bikes.
Wear parts are no problem, but some cosmetic bits may be hard to find.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Trekmac

Post by Trekmac »

EV not sure what parts may go, hopefully nothing too serious. I would be tempted to put 31/2 strada bars on, I fact, the red one at NLM already has them fitted. There is also a rather nice Guzzi V35, which may or may not be an even better ride than the Morini, it's £300 cheaper. I am not able to run 2 bikes at the moment and I may be wrong but i can't help thinking that neither of these bikes would be ideal as an only bike.
trinder

Post by trinder »

Do what I did, take the plunge! You wont regret it. I'm getting around 70 mpg from my Strada/Sport and I love it :D
Trekmac

Post by Trekmac »

Trinder. Unfortunately I can only afford a Guzzi 350 or Morini 250 and even then as an o ly bike. If I could afford a 31/2 strada or, even a 500 I would be very happy. I would even have a 500 as my only bike.
stevtwin

Post by stevtwin »

Ive owned and ridden a 1982 250 2c over a period of 15 years ,its a lovely little bike been very reliable ,goes very well ,six speed ,6v electrics -lighting not brilliant even, with 6v halogen bulb upgrade . Spares no problem NLM have supplied everything I have ever wanted mechanical or cosmetic. New seat cover which I fitted myself and looks like original ,Carb overhaul kits, Fork seals, also ignition upgrade which NLM developed for the 350. Only breakages to date -one of the throttle cables and one Carb rubber . Stainless silencers from Armours Bournemouth. People look in wonder at the compactness of the little V twin , lots have never seen or heard of a Morini 250cc before!. Mines Black with Gold painted Alloys and silver engine with polished cases, and Tarozzi Clip on bars.
Last edited by stevtwin on 16 Oct 2016 13:38, edited 2 times in total.
huub

Post by huub »

i've commuted on morini 350 , guzzi 350 and even a (ducati-engined)) cagiva
personally , if you want to ride the year round i found the guzzi the only really suitable one ,
parts for a morini can be a problem , if you rely on the bike for transportation you really need a good parts backup
the ducati sounds nice , but is high maintenance. nice if you commute is a couple of miles but impractical over longer distances
there is a reason why you can pick up a monster for little money.
i did commute over long distances , and got bored spending most of my weekends working on the bike to get it back on the road before monday morning

the guzzi needs regular maintenance too, ( after all it is 30 years old) but at least routine maintenance only takes minutes.
stevtwin

Post by stevtwin »

The 250 2c is a very small bike ,I'm 5 foot 11 and with the drop bars I seem to be peering at the top edge of my crash helmet visor opening , which is why I now have a 350 sport -a physically larger bike,though I have only used my bikes for leisure use road runs etc,but some people have toured and commuted on a 250 2c ,they are generally reliable ,economical around 70 mpg ,and as stated before virtually all spares are still obtainable.
Ming

250 2C ignition

Post by Ming »

Hello folks, thought I'd slip this into an existing Topic.
I am puzzled by the transducer arrangement on my newly acquired 250.
The bike is fitted with a square grey transducer and a black Piaggio transducer, the pick-up is black.
Now the alternator feeds to the ign switch via the diode (as per wiring diagram), but then instead of going to both transducers it feeds the 'device' in the plastic tube, via the yellow / green wire, two green wires out to the transducers and a blue wire to earth. Using an ohm meter gives around 1M y/g to g one way and about 600k the other, for both the outputs (disconnected from transducers).
I can't think what it is for, I presume it's something to do with the Piaggio transducer. I think I'll try a couple of Vespa transducers instead. Any ideas?
Transducers.jpg
Transducers.jpg (231.68 KiB) Viewed 20575 times
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Aha! The 1984ish 2C project I'm working with has a similar device. I *think* it might be a capacitor. Works OK with the two original Ducati Eletroteccnica transducers and a late Red pickup.