Crankcase dowels

Singles built before the Lambertini era
Steve Brown

Crankcase dowels

Post by Steve Brown »

I have everything I need to re-assemble my Corsaro 125 engine, apart from a pair of dowels for the crankcases. They were missing on mine and I thought after a quick glance they would be the same as on my 350/500 engines. Well, they aren't! Also they are two different sizes. I hadn't twigged that the 7mm lower front engine stud fitted to mine was correct-I thought it was a previous owner bodge!
So I'm looking for a solution here, I tried split roll pins but their inside diameter is too small.
Does any one have a reasonable pair of these dowels they could spare me please?
Or, is anyone good enough with a lathe to make some for me? I measure the bores in the cases at 9.8mm front and 10.8mm rear, both a bit approximate I'm afraid.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Re: Crankcase dowels

Post by MickeyMoto »

Steve Brown wrote: 05 Aug 2022 23:24 I measure the bores in the cases at 9.8mm front and 10.8mm rear, both a bit approximate I'm afraid.
No wonder the Gloster Gladiator wasn't much cop if you repaired it like that! :)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote: 06 Aug 2022 08:14
Steve Brown wrote: 05 Aug 2022 23:24 I measure the bores in the cases at 9.8mm front and 10.8mm rear, both a bit approximate I'm afraid.
No wonder the Gloster Gladiator wasn't much cop if you repaired it like that! :)
No problem, they were all Imperial and I can measure that by eye to within 0.0001", with my specs on obvs.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I have a model makers lathe you can borrow if you want. Take the mountain to Mohammed in case you need multiple attempts!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote: 06 Aug 2022 17:41 I have a model makers lathe you can borrow if you want. Take the mountain to Mohammed in case you need multiple attempts!
That's a great offer thanks, I'm not a very competent lathe operator though! I'd need a proper engineer person to do that for me. How're you fixed if I brought the bits over to you?