Tresette headbollt torque figure

Singles built before the Lambertini era
bellinger3387

Tresette headbollt torque figure

Post by bellinger3387 »

I'm having to replace the head gasket on my 1962 Tresette, (slight oil leak under the exhaust port). Can anyone suggest the correct torque figure?
Many thanks, Keith Bellinger (3387)
SettebelloDoug

Re: Tresette headbollt torque figure

Post by SettebelloDoug »

Hi Keith
I've never had the head off my Tresette Sprint, but I've refitted it several times on my Settebello. The Settebello head bolts are (from memory) 9 or10mm and I tighten them to 25 ft lbs and have no gasket problem. If your head bolts are the same dimension, then 25 is what I would do.
Hope this helps.
Doug
bellinger3387

Post by bellinger3387 »

Many thanks Doug.
Just taken the head off this morning, the head nuts are indeed 9mm, so 25 ft/lbs it is.
Two odd things I've found is that only one of the sleeved head nuts had a washer fitted inside the casting "tunnel", obviously not correct, and there are also washers fitted under the rocker carrier plate, not under the 7mm retaining nuts. This doesn't seem right as it effectively lifts the rockers higher than the designer intended (and consequently changes rocker/valve contact angle). Surely the washers should be under the nuts. The rpw.it exploded view does't help much, listing the washers, but not their position.
Any comments from any single cylinder owners appreciated as the same basic design seems to run throughout the model range.
Keith
SettebelloDoug

Post by SettebelloDoug »

Hi Keith
Having only one washer under one of the four head bolts sounds wrong, unless the length of one of the four is different from the other three. I would leave it out. And I agree with you that the washers for the rocker section should be immediately under the nuts.
Best of luck.
Doug
bellinger3387

Post by bellinger3387 »

Doug,
Just put the top end back together. The "odd" washer under one of the sleeved head nuts ,was down to one of the holes in the head being deeper than the other three.
The reason for the washers being under the rocker carrier, rather than under the nuts, was due to the carrier just fouling one of the valve spring lower cups, preventing it seating properly on the cylinder head. I have relieved the carrier slightly to allow it to seat properly (good old Dremel)
I found that wear is at present acceptable, but maybe next winter I'll replace the piston, little end, valves, guides etc, assuming I can source them, any ideas?
Keith
SettebelloDoug

Post by SettebelloDoug »

Hi Keith
Glad to hear that you have got it all back together. For parts I would suggest contacting Alex Luzzi in Italy. You can communicate with him in English by emailing him at alexluzzi@gmail.com.

Have you thought about going with your Tresette to the event in Normandy at Easter? I will be there with my Tresette Sprint.
Doug