Kanguro shock and swing arm protector needed

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
morini_tim

Kanguro shock and swing arm protector needed

Post by morini_tim »

Hi all

Have just bought a 1982 Kanguro X (drum front brake). The line to the remote air reservoir has been cut-off and both ends and presumably most of the oil has leaked out. Its got absolutely no compression damping but is very slow on the rebound! I tried adding some oil and pumping it without the spring in place to prime it but to no avail.

Any one got any hints about rebuilding it or a spare lying about (!) or any other ideas??? Having just bought the bike the thought of spending another £275 on a Hagon shock doesn;t appeal much!

Also the 'rubber' protector at the front of the swinging arm is totally worn away and the chains half worn through the lugs. NLM inform me that they aren't available. Temporarily I've made one out of thick rubber so I can test the bike but it's only gonna last a few miles. Any suggestions of how to obtain the correct type of material?

Finally (for now) I'm after copies of any parts book/handbooks for it but surprsingly NLM can't help.

Hope someone can point me in the right directions!

Tim
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You could try talking to http://www.dampertech.co.uk/home.html
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Tim;

If you're a Morini club member (hint...) then Dave Marlow - Supermoto Dave - will be the best person to sort you out a copy manual; he's the club librarian / archiveman. Alternatively, our magazine (ATG) editor runs an off-road Morini...

Good luck, and riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Tim

There are some manuals available for download from the Italian Morini owners site. Link below to Kanguro X2 parts manual, although a later model a lot of parts will be the same:-

http://www.morinispecial.it/manuali/Man ... uro_x2.pdf

Also link below to manual listed as Kanguro X1 owner manual but it is in Italian, diagrams and specs still useful and maybe translate what you need online:-

http://www.morinispecial.it/manuali/man ... uro_84.pdf

Hope they are of use, I still have some Kanguro X1 parts including the swinging arm I will check if that part is intact. Let me know any others parts you are short of or need. I still have tank, side panels, seat, lights ie most parts other than the frame and engine that I used on my Morini special.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Derek Wright

Kanguro X Chain Slider

Post by Derek Wright »

Tim,
I've been running an X for 2 years now and very pleased with it. The chain slider is just about worn out so would be pleased to hear if you manage to locate a supplier.
If Robin manages to help you out with one, a picture would be useful to see what they look like off the bike and how they fit. Lots of bikes use them so with a pattern or a picture it may be possible to find one which could be adapted.
Has any forum user done this ?
I to have little info.on the Kanguro, so the links provided by Robin will be very useful, thanks Robin.
I also run the later X3, does anyone know of a manual for this model?
Particularly after a wiring diagram.
The 12V, electric starter model diagram on the club site is different, the main difference being that the X3 does not have a fuse box.

Cheers,
Derek
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Derek

I do have my old chain slider but cannot currently locate it, its in a bag with the old chain. I fitted a different swinging arm to my Morini and had to fabricate a new slider. I used a material called 'delrin' and bought two blocks off of ebay. Delrin is used in knee sliders and the like, the delrin material stands up very well as my slider is quite thin and showing no signs of wearing through. I found a diagram in the parts manual that may help, see below. The block mounts to two points on the swinging arm so it should not be too hard to make this from delrin:-

Sorry can't help with the X3 manual not seen much on those.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Derek Wright

Chain Slider

Post by Derek Wright »

Robin,
Thanks for the diagram and material suggestion. Good staring point, will get some material and have ago.
Derek
morini_tim

Post by morini_tim »

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the replies/suggestions. Sorry I haven't responded before but I've been really busy at work then on holiday.

The links to thew manuals have proved useful and I've now managed to buy a secondhand shock which I'm assured is ok. I'll be fitting it tomorrow so fingers crossed!

As regards the chain slider, many thanks Robin for the info about delrin. Looking on ebay I found that one of the supppliers is only a few miles from me so I popped in there today. Rather than using 'Delrin' they suggested using 'GSM' which is similar but slightly higher spec and is also self-lubing so should last even longer. I bought enough to make about 5 sliders. I'll have a go tomorrow. I reckon it will be quite easy as the rubber one I've already made seems exactly the right shape and size. If you've not bought any delrin yet Derek I can let you have some of my GSM stuff or I can even make you a slider if you like. Feel free to contact me on 01903 892418 if you like.

I'll kep you posted
Tim