valve noise

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
84camel

valve noise

Post by 84camel »

I have an 84 camel. As mentioned in previous post, it is now running. However, the bike was sitting for quite some time. I checked the clearences on the valves and they apear to be fine. The bike has what I would consider to be exsesive valve noise. I am figuring that since this is a push rod motor, the top end gets its oil from the pushrods. Is it possible that the oil passage could be clogged preventing oil from getting to the top end.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Camel, on these motors the oil makes its way as a mist, up the pushrod tunnels. No direct feed I'm afraid. If a bike has stood for a while, it is worth pouring a little oil directly onto the valve gear. They are not quiet like modern bikes either, there is often a rustle from the valves. The side play in the rockers can be reduced by slackening the mounting blocks and sliding the blocks closer together. Turning the spindles is another old dodge to get a few more miles out of them too.
84camel

Post by 84camel »

Thanks for the info. I will try pouring the oil over the valve gear. I also got to thinking about the oil pump possibly not pumping enough volume to get it up to the to end.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

As has already been said, there is no pressure feed to the valve gear, the design relies entirely on mist lubrication. It does take quite a few miles for the mist to reach the top end, so if you're only doing occasional short journeys, top end lubrication can be a problem. I use a semi-synthetic oil (10W40 like Morini specified for the late engines) since it clings better.

The mist lubrication is very effective as anyone who's had a failed rocker box seal at the track day will tell you!

If the engine has Iron liners (ie, not a 501 engine) then some of what sounds like valve gear noise is piston rattle caused by the top heavy Heron headed piston and the generous bore clearance that goes with it. The Gillardoni barrels run much tighter clearances and are much quieter (it's why they were adopted).
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru