Gear Pattern

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Jump

Gear Pattern

Post by Jump »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the correct gear pattern for a Kanguro X1 should be? I had assumed one down three up, but I can't be sure. I don't seem to have anything down, and can only pull away with a lot of revs by going up one, so I suppose I could be missing first gear.

Any help would be welcome.

Regards,

Mark.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

On my Kanguro X1 it is one down and 5 up as they have a 6-speed box. There are false neutrals, so if your neutral light is not working you could be trying to pull away in 3rd or 4th which I have done sometimes. Just try to see if you can change down any further, also check via the neutral light if working. Otherwise you could have a selector fork issue, bent or worn forks could cause gear engaging problems.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Jump

Post by Jump »

Dear Robin,

Many thanks for reply. I have no neutral light!! so I will try and be a bit more assertive when applying downward pressure on the gear selector. It does seem to pop out of gear very easily as I seem to be able to get neutrals whatever gear I think I am in.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

To check for neutral you can check between the terminal on the neutral switch located just near the gearbox sprocket with a multi-meter and you should see open circuit between switch and ground when not in neutral and a short circuit between the switch and ground when in neutral (proper neutral). Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Robin
Jump

Post by Jump »

Hi Robin,

OK, able to confirm Neutral now, thanks to you, and I should be able to connect a bulb fairly easily to the wiring I have there. Still coming out of gear exceptionally easy though, further investigation I think!!

Mark
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

Regarding the jumping out of gear my Kanguro can jump out of gear when changing from 5th to 6th, but it never does if I use a clutchless change. I have since adjusted the clutch and gear change linkage and it occurs a lot less. So initially it wold be worth checking your clutch and gear linkage in particular the gear lever position in relation to your footrest and this can influence the force you can apply to the gear change.

Regards

Robin