Chain slider

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Chain slider

Post by 3potjohn »

I recently acquired a block of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene ( PE1000 is a similar material) with a view to making a chain slider. Nothing so elegant as a hacksaw, surform file and an M6 drill bit available.
Ugly but functional, bit like me I suppose.After about 850 miles ( some in 35oC air temp) no perceptible wear.
Went to see about viability of getting a batch cut by CNC Including a new sheet of PE1000 ballpark of £400 ish for 200.
Well… there it is.
mbmm350s

Re: Chain slider

Post by mbmm350s »

John
Great initiative
message Tom MRC chairman and Chris MRC products.
We are considering a number of items that are unobtainable.
Whether we go ahead and make these ourselves or facilitate others through supplier or supply chain depends on many things.
Present projects include full set Dart panels and 350 Exhaust heatshield.
Mark
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

John,
I second Mark's encouragement. Tom Farrow and I went to Novegro near Milan on 4th November and we bought several chain sliders there for about 30 euros a piece. They were new copies of the original part. In the Green Lane group (members of the MRC who also ride off road) we had at least 4 people who were after these sliders so there is ongoing demand for these sliders, especially as we ride the bikes on and off road when these things wear out and need replacing.

What else do you want/need to make this happen?
Thank you

Julian
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Measuring my old ( original? ) existing slider which is now grooved on its upper surface I got a width of 25mm except for the front mounting bosses which are 36mm across. I do not know if this matches the green one. I found this added fiddle time making one by hand.
To keep cost down the CNC chap suggested ignore the extra width, simply make the whole thing 25mm, then using proprietary predrilled to M6 nylon bushes at 5mm width each side They only anchor the front in the frame.
Of course your green version dimension may differ.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

This is a great initiative and definitely something we should be doing to keep morinis on the road.

We have a committee meeting next week so I will raise it.

200 sliders may take a while to sell, but there is a shortage of dart sliders so if we could make some of those too that might make it an even more viable proposition.

Are there differences between sliders on the various off road bikes? It would be good to understand which models these would fit, and like the dart slider, if making a few different types from our block of material would be sensible.

I can measure a dart slider, who’s best to feed back the measurements to??
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Tom the Camel and Kanguro items are different I'm sure. Rollers the same I think.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.