Avon Trailrider tyres, suitability for a Kanguro?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Patrick Slatts

Avon Trailrider tyres, suitability for a Kanguro?

Post by Patrick Slatts »

Hello all,

I'm looking to replace the elderly tyres on my Kanguro X1. The Avon Trailriders appeal on account of their bias towards road riding.
Replacing the front tyre seems OK for figuring out the size needed (90/90 21).

The rear tyre replacement though takes a bit more working out with regard to size equivalent. As fitted (and originally specified) the tyre size is 4.00 - 18. The rim width is 2.15 inch. Doing the calculation to convert to the available Avon Trailrider sizing, it appears the nearest match is a 110/80 (110/90 doesn't appear to be an option). Essentially if I've got it right, this would appear the Trailriders will have a slightly lower profile (aspect ratio). (The 120/80 18 inch rim, will have a closer profile, but are shown as being outside the spec. for the 2.15 inch rim).

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyres/t ... motorcycle

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of Trailrider tyres, and what size have you fitted to your bike?
Alternatively, I welcome suggestions for other makes of tyres which have a bias towards road use?

Thanks for any advice on offer.
Chris I.
3potjohn

Re: Avon Trailrider tyres, suitability for a Kanguro?

Post by 3potjohn »

I have been running Trailriders for over a year and around 7000 Km on a Coguaro.
Front 3.00 x21 Akront rim 21” 1.85
Rear 110 80 x18 Akront rim 18” 2.5

These replaced Avon Distazias. It’s my understanding these were 50/50 road/offroad whilst the Trailriders are 90/10.
I changed my rear sprocket from 46 to 42 tooth.
I don’t go off road due to rare plastics but content myself with hideous Devon lanes in Winter. For normal and sometimes long distance road riding they seem to work well. The only problem I encountered was once following my deflating the rear then after re-inflating the tyre was no longer concentric on the rim and despite best efforts ( tyre soap, over pressure bouncing the wheel etc) would not reseat. I took it back to the fitter who sorted it but said these were a real bar-steward.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes, I think the sizes you've mentioned are correct and the tyres suit majority road riding too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

3potjohn wrote: 19 Oct 2023 08:09The only problem I encountered was once following my deflating the rear then after re-inflating the tyre was no longer concentric on the rim and despite best efforts ( tyre soap, over pressure bouncing the wheel etc) would not reseat. I took it back to the fitter who sorted it but said these were a real bar-steward.
Must be an Avon vs Morini thing. I had all manner of hassle getting a Roadrider 2 to seat on my 3 1/2 Sport Grimeca alloy front. As in 3 separate fitters failing, a second tyre and 120psi! Common concensus was that the Avon was right at the bottom of the size tolerance and the rim at the top end.
Patrick Slatts

Post by Patrick Slatts »

3potjohn wrote: 19 Oct 2023 08:09 I have been running Trailriders for over a year and around 7000 Km on a Coguaro.
Front 3.00 x21 Akront rim 21” 1.85
Rear 110 80 x18 Akront rim 18” 2.5

These replaced Avon Distazias. It’s my understanding these were 50/50 road/offroad whilst the Trailriders are 90/10.
I changed my rear sprocket from 46 to 42 tooth.
I don’t go off road due to rare plastics but content myself with hideous Devon lanes in Winter. For normal and sometimes long distance road riding they seem to work well. The only problem I encountered was once following my deflating the rear then after re-inflating the tyre was no longer concentric on the rim and despite best efforts ( tyre soap, over pressure bouncing the wheel etc) would not reseat. I took it back to the fitter who sorted it but said these were a real bar-steward.

Thanks for the information and experience details given John, that's good to know.
It sounds like your Devon lanes experience is very similar to my neck of the woods, country lanes, poor surfaces and chuck in some blind corners etc... I'm convincing myself that replacing the tyres is definitely a good idea, more so for the road based riding while still giving the capability off road.
There are a small number of occasions where I've ventured over the moors via an 'Unsuitable for motors' (legally permitted) track, with (for me) slightly challenging surfaces, i.e. rutted green lanes made with loose surface etc. It sounds like the Trailriders would cope with this level of off road riding.

The 76 Strada I have is shod with Avon Roadrider 2s. I've encountered the same problem with the front tyre not being concentric on the rim. I think it jumped off while out riding, when the bike encountered a particular nasty pot hole (another one for the list!). The Strada is also now fitted with Akront alloy rims. Keeping this in mind, I would have to keep an eye on the Trailrider's rim seating after a punt out on the moors!