side stand pictures X1

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Stempy

side stand pictures X1

Post by Stempy »

Evening

Please can some one take a picture of the side stand from an X1 Kanguro please
Another note can you fit a center stand to a X1 Kanguro ?

Cheers
Stempy
Steve Brown

Re: side stand pictures X1

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Rick, sorry I can't help with the pics you want but someone else may be along soon with them. I can tell you there were 2 types of side stand though-the 1st was mounted on the swinging arm and the pivot is partially hidden by the pillion footrest hanger. They were weak though and prone to the pivot bracket splitting along its welded joints as well as bending/deforming the swinging arm when over loaded (sitting on the bike on its stand etc) the stand leg/tube was also prone to bending. A couple of us discussed inserting a second smaller tube inside the first but not sure if anyone did that yet?
The second type pivot was mounted on the frame in a similar position to where the Sport/Strada series had them. This type seems stronger but a bit less 'tucked away' when folded for a trail bike. Still a good option though, if you can fabricate a pivot similar to the road bikes and a stand to suit that may be your best option.
As for centre stands, they all came with the provision to fit one as an optional extra I suppose. If you look under the frame, near the crossover tube for the gear linkage there should be a second similar tube for the stand pivot. If the bike saw any really heavy action though it could have been damaged and maybe cut off. There should be spring anchor points on the inside of the frame tubes too. Early bike had only one spring then later bikes had two.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.