Fuel consumption

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Fuel consumption

Post by 3potjohn »

Aside from the cost of fuel today and having recently rebuilt my level sensing fuel tap with a “race tuned” float tube length I would be interested to know fuel consumption data from bikes running the 507 motor as per my Coguaro. This on a mixture of dodgy lanes doubling as a potato patch, city clag and the mid Devon bliss of no traffic and miles of pretty decent roads combined with no petrol stations. Am running a 42 tooth rear so 5000 rpm indicates about 58 mph, though it seems fast enough to me.The Speedo may be reading a bit under I think.Totally different to my Sport of course, which causes “biker mentality” to set in if you are not careful.
I have 42 pilots and now down to 112 mains ( from 122) with a re-flowerpotted airbox. The somewhat sooty silencer end is much cleaner as the plugs are now a pleasing light tan. Could go lower ( sounds like play your cards right) but it is running pretty well now.
John
MickeyMoto

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by MickeyMoto »

My 501 in Excretia tune would get high 50s MPG with the old 95. 20kph per 1,000 rpm in top. You may be running a bit low geared. 30 mph at 2,500 rpm and it would pull away happily at that speed.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hmmm I think the speedo is close at 30 mph checked against cars going past the local speed camera. Some years ago, well before we had Sat nav or mobiles I got an offspring to hold up speed cards in the back window of the car. He deliberately held up the wrong ones.
Perhaps I could have gone to a 40 tooth rear or so but held back in case of an unforeseen issue. No rear drum to worry about though. At least I have sparkling acceleration.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I´m runing 501 in two bikes, one with half-fairing, airfilter boxes of a 350, silencers old 350 Lafranconis, main jets 130 and the other one with lightened motor parts Polini filters, main jets 115, self made 2-2 escapes. Running 39 teeth with both they consume about 5,5 l/100km travelling a bit sportive mainly mountan routes no city traffic.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

5 to 5.5 l/100km would be my guess, too.

I do wish the figures were in km/l at least we could do some quick arithmetic to work out when we would be stranded with an empty tank!
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Today I deliberately ran out of petrol. I have done 320 Km before my warning light started to flicker and by 340 was constant.
I ran around a mix of lanes and with some trepidation a bendy main road. At 386Km it sputtered and popped right at a set of temporary lights. So 66Km or about 40 miles. Luckily the safest place on the road to stop.About 3.5Litres from a can then 16.84L to top up.
I can take a 40 mile low fuel range all day long,
I have never managed to get exactly 22Litres in.
Engine temperature in Celsius back home with a Chinese gun
Front cylinder 115
Rear cylinder 125
Starter sprag cover 89 )containing the all important Vulkollan cheeses)
Right hand cover 88 ( containing the even more important rotor and magnets)
Bottom end 90
Air temp 30 ( which when compared to the 44 at a friends wedding, fully suited, in Spain is a doddle)
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

On my trip home from Morano I´ve run out of fuel at 320 km as well (with the british aluminio racing tank, aprox. 18l). Thats about 5,6l as well :wink: