Fork Spring Stuck

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Fork Spring Stuck

Post by 3potjohn »

Though I would change my fork oil today on my Coguaro.
I had been using 5wt but it seemed a little soft so trying 10wt of the same brand ( Silkolene)
Right fork top nut undone and sprung out with the spacer underneath. I withdrew the spring, all good so replaced spacer and filled with 530 mL, having missed catching the initial jet of old oil which landed around 80cm in front of my catch can.
However on the left fork the spacer sits lower as the spring also is lower by around 30mm or so. Furthermore I cannot pull this spring out. Shining a light down revealed nothing . I can turn the spring clockwise using the top turn end to lever against but cannot grip it to turn anti-clockwise.
Has anyone ever had similar?
Guess I will need to the remove offending leg ( à la Lord Uxbridge) and investigate.
John
Steve Brown

Re: Fork Spring Stuck

Post by Steve Brown »

It sounds a bit like the spring has wound itself over the end of the damper rod/piston, But without that being broken and in pieces I can't imagine how it could do that as the piston fills the inside of the stanchion?
As you say, a strip down is the way to go.
The spring may have just collapsed or broken I suppose and the broken edge is jamming to prevent you pulling it out or turning in one direction only.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I think I should be able to remove that leg with the other in situ and the usual jack under the frame in case, the stanchion easily moves with the clamping bolts loose. Guess there is a central damper retaining bolt under the slider.
Better read up on it….
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Fork leg removed, of course it would be the calliper leg, the fresh oil yesterday drained back into bottle, mostly anyway, ahem!
Spring came out with minor anticlockwise rotation. Pumped fork a lot and a few ml of filthy black oil came out of the drain plug. Just goes to show need for fork removal to really clean out the insides and in fact easier to to it that way.
Cement thrown on garage floor!
All good.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

3potjohn wrote: 20 Apr 2022 09:11 Fork leg removed, of course it would be the calliper leg, the fresh oil yesterday drained back into bottle, mostly anyway, ahem!
Spring came out with minor anticlockwise rotation. Pumped fork a lot and a few ml of filthy black oil came out of the drain plug. Just goes to show need for fork removal to really clean out the insides and in fact easier to to it that way.
Cement thrown on garage floor!
All good.
Glad it's all good but what was actually wrong with it then?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The spring was the type with narrower diameter coils at the bottom . Don’t know if these are standard or not. I just needed to turn it very slightly anticlockwise then it withdrew easily.so assume the end had hooked up somehow.Odd though.
I could have carried on and removed the damper and had a look but decided to just refit the fork for now. I am satisfied with how it rides the bumps
John