Replacement Rear Shock for 501XE Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Ted

Replacement Rear Shock for 501XE Camel

Post by Ted »

Now that I've got my Camel starting and running pretty well and the front brake is working (I do still need to find some time to work on the rear brake), I'm wanting to move on to some other items for it. I view the rear shock as the biggest one.

I'm not sure how these are "supposed" to ride and I don't have prior experience with dirt/off-road bikes this light. My other off-road/adventure bike is a BMW R1150GS, which of course is a much different motorcycle. It also has an Ohlins rear shock that's adjustable, and I have it set where it has good comfort and also good riding control.

On my Morini, the shock appears to do absolutely nothing. I think the spring rate seems good, but there's just what seems to be no damping at all. Around the property if I'm sitting on the bike it's extremely bouncy. On-road, it's generally terrifying as it bounces so much. While I don't expect this bike to be particularly good at highway speeds, it seems excessively bouncy.

With all of that said, I'm not sure what options exist. The spring is fine so really what I need is the shock insert. Are there other applications that people have used with success for this? I could always pull it and measure. I am hoping to keep costs fairly reasonable. Adjustable would be a plus but not mandatory, honestly anything is better than what I have now I expect.
norbert

Re: Replacement Rear Shock for 501XE Camel

Post by norbert »

Probably your shock has run out of oil, not that unusual with that Marzocchi monoshocks of our enduros :roll:
Ted

Post by Ted »

It wouldn't surprise me, and I'm almost certain it's original. If it's rebuildable then I'd be all for that, but I am assuming that it needs to be replaced as I am used to doing with shocks on all other vehicles I've worked on.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My new Kanguro shock lasted a year before it turned into a pogo stick...

If you search this forum or look at the subjects under Off Road Bikes you may find some useful information...