Kanguro X3 Charging Problems

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Derek Wright

Kanguro X3 Charging Problems

Post by Derek Wright »

Can anyone help with a wiring diagram for a 1989 Kanguro.
The wiring diagram in the technical section on the club site for electric start models is different to my X3.
My battery is in good condition and holds its charge when a battery charger is used.
There is no problem with the ignition system.
I have tried to follow the checks for the charging system given in the technical section, but checks relate to a differently wired generator and regulator.
I think its my regulator which is knackered, but not sure if the generator is at fault also.
My generator has 2 yellow wires, to the regulator "G" postion, a green and a white which go to the transducers.
The regulator has a further 2 positions used, B+ - red wire, which goes to the battery and ignition switch, C, which has 2 purple wires which go to the horn and the brake switches.
Is this correct, need a wiring diag to confirm.
Putting an avo ( AC volts)across the 2 yellow wires gives a very erratic reading, about 8 volts at tickover and up to over 100v when revved, the readings jump about allover the place, is this normal.
With the avo on dc amps connected in series to the red wire from the reg to the battery - this only shows a neg reading from the neutral light, when revved shows no positive increase in amps.
Also with the avo on dc volts and connected across the battery terminals, this only shows 12.5 volts with no increase when revved.

I would appreciate any comments or advice on further checks from electrical wizards out there.

I have seen refs to use of alternative regulators - has anyone any experience or knowledge of such a substitution, or has anyone got a reg for sale.
I expect a replacement original type will be very expensive, if available.