501 sidestand switch and potted gizmo

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
tried-them-all

501 sidestand switch and potted gizmo

Post by tried-them-all »

last questions i hope...

the 501camel has a side stand cut-out switch that i want to remove. It has 2 red wires running to it. The wires at the tank end are broken off and it is not possible to work out what they were originally plugged into. I'd like to bypass it in any case, so what terminals do i need to "jumper" under the tank? - if any?

second - what is the function of the plastic cylinder near the coils containing potted components? and where does it plug into?

blue goes to earth, red is hanging in space and maybe a brown wire runs to the instruments..
tnx
'It must be a .....'

Re: 501 sidestand switch and potted gizmo

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi from memory the sidestand switch gets it's power supply from the back of the horn, the other wire leads to the plastic cylinder you also mention which is a warning alarm/horn. Simply remove both components and the two connecting red wires

If it works keep the switch as it is the same as the brake light switch (and used on several Morinis)

Have fun, Ian
tried-them-all

Post by tried-them-all »

thanks, of course the horn is missing too, so that's where one red wire must have gone - so i can remove the plastic gizmo then - was it some kind if audible warning for the indicators?

As I can't work out how the side stand switch disabled the bike from starting in the first instance, it means I should be able to get a spark out of the 501 without a battery and no side stand switch?

...and I have already stolen the side stand switch to be the 500 camel brake switch
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

I think it was an audible warning only for the sidestand and perhaps indicators
Never come across one that worked and often they were in the box of odd bits you get with a bike
3potjohn

Re: 501 sidestand switch and potted gizmo but does not.

Post by 3potjohn »

Mine should also have this alarm system in place but does not. I actually saw a bike with it working a month or two ago. I did once leave a side stand down.It is a steep learning curve.
As you have realised, the switch is used as the brake switch.
I suppose you could wire to a more modern ignition cut out if needed.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Making a fail safe is not a simple job as it should only work in gear, otherwise the bike could only be started on the centre stand, if one is fitted. I suppose it could be wired up to the neutral light, but again, not sure if earlier bikes have one. Which is probably why the buzzer was fitted. In a litigious country like the US this would cause problems! It's a minefield out there!