Camel throttle cable dimensions

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Camel throttle cable dimensions

Post by Steve Brown »

Anyone got the dimensions for Camel Mk1/2 throttle cables please? Particularly the two smaller cables from the junction box/splitter to the slides. I need a set to enable me to swap back to a standard airbox. My current cables have a 90 degree elbow at the carb top which interferes with the original airbox.
Also was there ever a parts list for the Mk1 and 2 Camels/Saharas? That would be useful too!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Camel throttle cable dimensions

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve, the outer cables from the splitter box to carbs are 33cm & 39cm, the inner cables are 8cm longer measured under the nipples

If you are going back to the standard air box are you using a different tank?

Good luck, have fun, Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Thanks Ian, I think you may have sent me these dimensions before! I'll take more care of them in future...;-)
Yes I will be using a tank borrowed from another member to allow the use of the original airbox. Sadly I have damaged the tank I had made, through my own stupidity and also crashing a bit. (also my own stupidity) This tank can be repaired but as I find I am doing more deep water crossings than I expected I want to remove the filter pods and fit something more protected from such splashes/immersions. In the long term I may try to alter the bottom of the alloy tank to suit but it's a bit of a job that.
I'm still keeping one eye open in case a suitable tank turns up.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Morini047

Post by Morini047 »

does anyone know the lengths for kanguro X1
Patrick Slatts

Post by Patrick Slatts »

Hi Morini047, apologies for the late comment here, hope this is still helpful.

I recently made some throttle cables for my Kanguro x1. The cables described here run from the splitter 'cylinder' under the tank, to the VHB25BS carbs. The cables are the Venhill universal throttle cables kit* and I cut them very slightly longer (as I recall they may be only approximately 15mm longer than the originals).

*According to the Venhill packaging for the cable kit, they are; U01-4-101-BK Universal Kit 5mm 1.35m Black.

The left hand side carb (front cylinder) outer cable (end of ferrule to ferrule) measures 250mm.
The right hand side carb (rear cylinder) outer cable (end of ferrule to ferrule) measures 320mm.

Of more critical importance is the inner cable length, with respect to the outer cables. With the inner cable pulled out fully at the 'carb. end', I set * the length of the inner cable, between the outer cable ferrule and the head of the 3mm nipple (which links to the carb slide) to 62mm. This in practice allows the hex adjusters on the top of the VHB25BS to be wound most of the way inwards while giving just enough free slack before the throttle pulls up the slides.

* By 'setting', I'm describing soldering the 3mm brass nipple, which I sourced not from Venhill.

Cheers, Chris I.
Attachments
kanguro throttle cable 03.jpg
kanguro throttle cable 03.jpg (259.24 KiB) Viewed 809 times