Rear sprocket

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Rear sprocket

Post by 3potjohn »

After a failed attempt to get a rear sprocket after only 6 months I am asking does anyone know where one might get a rear sprocket made. I am looking to reduce from a 46 to a 42 tooth. I would remove my existing one as a template.
4 hole mounting 520 42 tooth. B and C have been apologetic but unable to provide a blank.
Its easier to vaccinate the public!
John
harrymuffin

Re: Rear sprocket

Post by harrymuffin »

I think this topic has been before where I mentioned that I used to get mine from a chap when I last had some off him had a work shop in Bucknell about ten mile due west of Ludlow. He used to be Rdger Maughlings (?) machinist and because I hade different bike would buy them as toothed blanks then machine to suit whichever bike they were for. They used to cost around the tenner mark. Not sure if he is working. However, I may have a big heavy 42 tooth steel one that I will sort out tomorrow for you, I never had a mud plugger but then it may have come off a 500 5 speed which had this size rear sprocker, will contact you tomorrow after checking.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Thanks for looking.
John
haboola 72

Post by haboola 72 »

Hello John,
I didn't realise the Coguaro had a four hole sprocket! ( one less bolt keep tight ) Looked in the Morini book to check and there it is.
i have a nice aluminium 43 tooth one from an X3 camel complete with cush drive, hub carrier and stub axle if it's any use, but I won't be back in the Uk
(for good) until September. You probably don't want to wait that long.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Checked today, sorry for the delay, catching up on the vegitable planting after the 4"of snow on Monday. I have a 42-6 alloy, a 41-5 alloy and a 42-5 steel all are 5/8 x 3/8 but the thickness canbe reduce to 5/16 if that is what you are using. The hole in the sprocket is what determines whether these sprockets I have plus the PCD of the bolt holes will fit. Let me have these and I will go and check again. I still sometimes use the 42- alloy so choice is a 41 or a 42 steel.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I heard about the snow. I was worried in case the cold nights knobbled the plum flowers and my echiums which are already over 2m tall but got away with it.About to cut some Asparagus. Seasons gone mad , no water.
I will check my diameters as soon as poss but have to see rels for a day or two .
I appreciate the X3 offer by the way so will maybe see what transpires
Thanks once again
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

As a conclusion to this tale B&C finally got a new supplier of blanks and within ten or so days I got my sprocket. Going from 46 to 42 has certainly made for a more relaxed ride but still enough pep to get away from the lights today in Exeter which has been totally jammed all day due to road works on both routes over the wrong side of the river.
Perhaps could have gone to a 40 but was worried about unforeseen circumstances.
Compared to the horrible goings on elsewhere this is of course small beer.And when the pub opens at 1600 that’s exactly what I am going to have.
John
Ming

Post by Ming »

I think I'd make it a large one, like the original sprocket.
norbert

Post by norbert »

In my road frames I use 39 teeth with the 501, but an off road bike is another thing.