Saving the Kanguro from decay

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Morini047

Re: Saving the Kanguro from decay

Post by Morini047 »

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for X1 and where to find small bulbs on dashboard?
Ian_C

Post by Ian_C »

My Kanguro dashboard lights had 12v 1.2W capless bulbs, type 286. They are available in the UK from motor factors (eg Euro Car Parts) for about £0.50 each, not sure where you would get them in Croatia though. Hope this helps, Ian
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
Ming

Post by Ming »

That's the one. T5 12V 1.2W
Morini047

Post by Morini047 »

Thanks, found them
I have a problem with the front headlight for some reason it doesn’t work :?:
thought maybe they are 6v 1.2W like in this diagram http://oldbikehack.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... agram.html
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I think the X1 has a similar 6V DC/12V AC system to the early Camels.
If so the headlight has a 12V AC supply and only works when the engine is running. Everything else is powered by the 6V DC circuit and the battery - pilot/parking light, rear/stop light, indicators, horn, instrument lights etc.
There is an original Camel 500 wiring diagram in this thread http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... ram#p27706 which might help?
Good luck Ian

PS http://oldbikehack.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... agram.html is a modified version of the above.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes, it's as Ian says. The headlight is a separate circuit and is 12 volt AC powered from the flywheel only when the engine is running.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Morini047

Post by Morini047 »

If I understood correctly, only the headlight bulb is 12 V. All other bulbs are 6 V. This wiring diagram is very similar to my wiring.

another mystery I have alternator with 4 wires 2 yellow 1 red and 1 green in Ians wiring diagram alternator have a 5 wires?
2 yellow wires goes to the rectifier green to transducer and red to the fusebox?

the wiring diagram is blurry so I don't see wire colors
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Morini047 wrote:If I understood correctly, only the headlight bulb is 12 V. All other bulbs are 6 V. This wiring diagram is very similar to my wiring.

another mystery I have alternator with 4 wires 2 yellow 1 red and 1 green in Ians wiring diagram alternator have a 5 wires?
2 yellow wires goes to the rectifier green to transducer and red to the fusebox?

the wiring diagram is blurry so I don't see wire colors
Yes the diagrams are hard to get the colours!
The alternator wiring you describe sounds like the normal road bike, all 12 volt DC lighting. If that was fitted without altering the wiring to the handlebar light switch then the headlight won't work! It's most likely the grey wire going into you handlebar switch is the feed to the Hi/Low beam switch. If you give that grey wire a 12 volt supply that comes live when you switch the other lights on, I think you will get a working headlight. To use the 12 volt alternator you will need also need a full 12 volt rectifier. A pretty universal type is fine here.
Everything else would need 12 volt bulbs too.
'It must be a .....'

Hi, in the Camel 500 wiring diagram the wires from the alternator are

Yellow (Giallo) Regulator (G terminal)
Grey (Grigio) Regulator (A termimal, next to the empty one)
Red (Rosso) Fuse box
Green (Verde) Fuse box (Transducer/Ignition circuit)
White (Bianco) Fuse box (Dedicated earth to the Transducer/Ignition circuit) Not all alternators have this White earth wire

The wire colours are the same as on my bike

Ducati Elettrotecnica Regulator 12VAC 6VDC with 5 terminals
A A (Grey)
+B (Brown)
Earth (Blue)
G (Yellow)

I agree with Steve and if the bike has been converted to 12V using another alternator (What regulator do you have?) you will need to connect the Grey wire from the headlight switch (12AC direct) into the 12V DC circuit.
Plus the battery, bulbs etc will have to be 12V

Hope this helps, good luck Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Also worth knowing that 12 volt batteries the same size as the original 6 volt type are available. If they had been available in the early 1980s I'm sure that's what the factory would have used.
Morini047

Post by Morini047 »

Thanks everyone, it turned out that the alternator is from 12V morini so I completely rewired everything all over again.
I am now in the process of making battery box from fiberglass, I put all the photos in one gallery.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qwYM3qKPB51BmRt9
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Great work, enjoy ! :D
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have always preferred the Kanguro, especially the earlier models. Yours looks to be a great restoration, hope you enjoy riding it.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Refreshing an old thread.
Trying to problem solve the last electrical gremlins in my X1 Kanguro, the handlebar switch is badly cracked. About to order a new CEV 206 switch which I will need to wire up.

So, I Understand the 2 systems 6v DC and 12v AC. My question is this to challenge my comprehension. The switching of the headlight and tail light are independent systems, so you can switch just the tail/pilot on/off with no headlight, and just the headlight Hi/Lo but without the tailight/pilot.
To get both front and rear illumination, you must switch 2 rockers? is this correct. Cheers Ian
'It must be a .....'

No.
One rocker swithces on the lights and has two on positions tail/pilot & headlight/tail/pilot the other rocker switches between hi/low once the headlight/tail/pilot lights are switched on

Not that complex if you consider that the off/on/on rocker switches both 6V DC & 12V AC circuits independently; think 6V DC tail/pilot switched on and then in the next position 6V DC tail/pilot still on plus the 12V AC headlight circuit

Although you can wire a 6V DC/12V AC type CEV switch externally when converting from 6V DC/12V AC to 12V DC only
I'm not sure if it can be done in reverse using a 12V type CEV handlebar switch as I suspect that the lighting off/on/on rocker and it's contacts may be different?

You should be able to work the power distribution/connections of the switch positions with a simple test lamp

Good luck and double check everything