Igniton timing differences, Kanguro X1 vs road bikes?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Patrick Slatts

Igniton timing differences, Kanguro X1 vs road bikes?

Post by Patrick Slatts »

Hello
I'm intending buying the Elektronik Sachse ignition system at the offer price which Kamel has recently negotiated (see Tre e mezzo). My understanding and reading of the workshop manuals, is that there is no difference between ignition timings between the road bikes, (e.g. 1970s Strada and Sport) vs Kanguros. The manuals for the two different bikes both quote as firing between +10 deg. before and -34 deg. after t.d.c.

My Kanguro is an X1, and of course I will need to convert it to a full 12v system. Beyond this, if anyone knows of a reason to hold back on buying the Elektronik Sachse igniton, I welcome your comments.

Cheers,

Chris I.
72degrees

Re: Igniton timing differences, Kanguro X1 vs road bikes?

Post by 72degrees »

I probably would have fitted one on the 'racer', but it requires a battery and fairly heavy coils .Battery = weight. The racer uses very small scooter coils and the NLM module (but not NLM pickup).

As part of the winter project I will get around to fitting an SWF system on the road 2C/350. Perhaps anyone else who has tried that could comment?
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Beyond this, if anyone knows of a reason to hold back on buying the Elektronik Sachse igniton
The Sachse system has selectable curves so you are more likely to find something that suits the X1.

X3 kanguros have different timing, but the Sachse system would also suit them too.

Its just the cost is the only downside, other than needing a battery.
I have spoken to Sachse and they advise the fitting of a new modern regulator (as you have) , they tell me that the electronics
don't have any in built voltage spike suppression so my advice is to fit a simple Transient voltage suppressor (TVS)
across the supply to the electronic module.
These are cheap components that you can buy from any online electronics supplier like RS, CPC.
16V would be appropriate.

Mark
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

mbmm350s wrote:
Beyond this, if anyone knows of a reason to hold back on buying the Elektronik Sachse igniton
The Sachse system has selectable curves so you are more likely to find something that suits the X1.

X3 kanguros have different timing, but the Sachse system would also suit them too.

Its just the cost is the only downside, other than needing a battery.
I have spoken to Sachse and they advise the fitting of a new modern regulator (as you have) , they tell me that the electronics
don't have any in built voltage spike suppression so my advice is to fit a simple Transient voltage suppressor (TVS)
across the supply to the electronic module.
These are cheap components that you can buy from any online electronics supplier like RS, CPC.
16V would be appropriate.

Mark
I've used this type of thing in the past and it was very effective..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-S ... 3432821319

Or these

https://www.conrad.com/p/kemo-car-volta ... st=product

Cheers,

Kamel.
Patrick Slatts

Post by Patrick Slatts »

Thanks all of you for your helpful replies.

I'm more confident that the Saches system will be OK with the Kanguro (after the 12v change). Thanbks for reminding me to including the transient suppresor. It is a definate must and will be included during installation. The trouble caused when spiky voltages are let loose in the world of electronics is not worth the risk, especially when there is aeasy cheap solution.

Cheers,
Chris I.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Patrick Slatts wrote:Thanks all of you for your helpful replies.

I'm more confident that the Saches system will be OK with the Kanguro (after the 12v change). Thanbks for reminding me to including the transient suppresor. It is a definate must and will be included during installation. The trouble caused when spiky voltages are let loose in the world of electronics is not worth the risk, especially when there is aeasy cheap solution.

Cheers,
Chris I.
Oh, and one good thing about the Sachse system which I forgot to mention before is that it has reverse polarity protection. I was considering the SWF system until I learned that reversing the battery connections for whatever reason is catastrophic.

Cheers,

Kamel.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

've used this type of thing in the past and it was very effective..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-S ... 3432821319

Or these

https://www.conrad.com/p/kemo-car-volta ... st=product
Thanks Kamel. These products are easier to explain how specify and fit than the TVS component.
I have spent many years in preventing electronics from being blown up by spikes, lightning etc,
I vouch for their use even though its spending money on something that doesn't make the bike go any better!

For Moto Morini which can be a little unconventional The suppressor should be put across the regulator output,
on the regulator side of the fuse rather than across the battery, its a subtle difference.
In this way it will also protect the regulator from sudden battery disconnection with engine running
(some Ducati regulators have a red warning note about this)
If there is no fuse from the regulator to the battery then it does not matter
and connecting across the battery is easiest.
Mark

Mark
lemans

Post by lemans »

Kamel wrote: mention before is that it has reverse polarity protection. I was considering the SWF system until I learned that reversing the battery connections for whatever reason is catastrophic.

Cheers,

Kamel.
well perhaps I shouldn't have written such a strong warning in the manual but reversing polarity will damage the 7805 Voltage regulator. This can be repaired easily (fit a new one) but will put the ignition module out of order. Until it has been repaired. The polarity is clearly noted on the pcb, so it is almost impossible to make this mistake however...

regards Anne Galama
SWF-Ignition Systems
mail@swf-ignitionsystems.nl
norbert

Post by norbert »

Apart from other ignition sistems, coming back to your original question:

I cannot remember that there is a difference between ignition timings between the road bikes vs Kanguros. The pickups and flywheels are interchangeable, so where shoud this diferences come from? Anybody has diferent information?

norbert
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hello Norbert

The later Kanguros X2, X3 (as well as Excaliburs non Kokusan version) uses the black pickup and the Zanussi (bulged) transducers, these have a little different characterstic
and have advance that has longer duration at full advance before falling back.
This system is interchangeable as a whole with earlier red pick up + black flat side transducers except there is no electronic rev counter connection

*Zanussi took over Ducati Electrotechnicca some time in the 80s.
Mark