Vacuum tap

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Vacuum tap

Post by 3potjohn »

I have been chasing some fuelling problems on this Coguaro and it is close to being OK. However the black rubber vacuum pipe work was a bit suspect, at least where it pushes over the carb take off points. I replaced the lot using some translucent green Ariete fuel pipe . I now see that upon starting the bike the vacuum line to the right hand ( Pailin vacuum tap) almost immediately contained a few cm of fuel.
This cannot be correct and may have contributed to my problems.
Does this mean I need to strip the tap and if I need anything are the parts available?
John
Kamel

Re: Vacuum tap

Post by Kamel »

It sounds as though the diaphragm is split and the vacuum is pulling fuel into the inlet tract. That won't help getting it to run right and ultimately it will get worse and contaminate your engine oil. I don't know if spares are available for them, but a manual tap must be.

Cheers,

Kamel.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have some manual taps so that is a solution. I may just bypass it for now blank the ports off and use the other tap. Of course my tank was nearly empty but I just filled it a couple of days ago.
You can bet if I undo the vacuum tap it will have a split rather than just muck. Another example of Marshall’s luck. Other examples include tyre valves which are always behind a fork leg or inside the swing arm area when you want to put air in, and dropping the drain plug into hot oil, with some of it going up your sleeve.
I shall find out tomorrow.Any fuel leaks or otherwise are not a good equation in a garage which adjoins my house.
John
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

For me it always gets windy the moment I undo an oil drain plug. :roll:

No, fuel leaks are not good in that situation. I would probably loose sleep.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I managed to acquire a vacuum tap of unknown ancient condition but after a bit of judicious siphoning ( nice!) it is now fitted and works as intended. They are listed new on the Paioli website but at present have not heard back re cost.

John