Bike still lurching forward with clutch lever pulled in....

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
forzamacchi

Bike still lurching forward with clutch lever pulled in....

Post by forzamacchi »

Hello everyone... This is my first dry clutch set up, so I imagine something is misadjusted. My Camel is still lurching forward whilst the clutch lever is engaged. I have added new fiber plates and deglazed the metal plates. When I replaced the clutch plate cover, I tightened down the spring loaded screws completely. Should these have a bit more play? Any help is greatly appreciated....Ben
1981 Morini Camel 500
2019 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
1967 Aermacchi 250
1958 FB Mondial 175 Superturismo
1957 Ceccato 125 Sport Lusso
1955 Sterzi 125 Turismo
Ming

Re: Bike still lurching forward with clutch lever pulled in.

Post by Ming »

For the nuts, it's best to 'just' tighten them so that the spring tension holds them in place. Too tight and you risk damage to the studs. You should be able to adjust clutch clearance via the handlebar adjuster and lever actuator on the right hand side of the gearbox. That lever may be a little worn on the pip that contacts the clutch pushrod, if so it can be built up with a spot of weld.
huub

Post by huub »

you might also check if the springs are equally length,
pull the clutch , and check if the pressure plate moves exaclty the same distance all around.
a weak spring can cause the pressure plate to tilt , making a clean clutch release next to impossible
you might need to add washers under the spring screws to get it square
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Have you checked the adjustment at the lever arm on the right side of the engine?
forzamacchi

Post by forzamacchi »

Wow..... Thank you everyone... a bit to look into. I will double check the clutch tomorrow. I will measure the arm distance (15mm?) and springs. After watching Paul Compton's clutch video, I realized I may have put the slender metal plate in the wrong position. This bike is suffering from a few maladies. The left hand shift linkage was extremely worn. Shifting and notchy and rough... Hopefully, all of these fixes will help a bit... Cheers, Ben
1981 Morini Camel 500
2019 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
1967 Aermacchi 250
1958 FB Mondial 175 Superturismo
1957 Ceccato 125 Sport Lusso
1955 Sterzi 125 Turismo
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Another thing to check when you set up the adjuster on the lever under the RH engine cover, is how much the end of the lever moves. Sometimes it's not enough e.g. when someone has dropped a bike and smashed the handlebar lever assembly and replaced it with something different out of necessity :-)