Right hand shift conversion, 81' Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
forzamacchi

Right hand shift conversion, 81' Camel

Post by forzamacchi »

Hello everyone,
I have heard that there is a conversion for turning my camel back to right hand shift? I have a US market left hand shift Camel with the weird cross linkage. Any tips appreciated! Ben
1981 Morini Camel 500
2019 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
1967 Aermacchi 250
1958 FB Mondial 175 Superturismo
1957 Ceccato 125 Sport Lusso
1955 Sterzi 125 Turismo
Steve Brown

Re: Right hand shift conversion, 81' Camel

Post by Steve Brown »

Have never heard of this kit for a Camel, only for the road bikes?

I wanted right foot change for my Camel and discovered that the gear linkage from a 500W road model (or equivalent 350 I suppose) fits perfectly. Depending on what you do for footrests you may not even need a linkage, you may find a standard Strada gear lever will do. I went this route as I was also fitting the starter motor from the road bike.

Swapping the rear brake to the proper side, I welded an outer cable stop to the frame on the left side and routed the (home made) cable up over the chainguard and through the frame, underneath the tool box/battery area. For convenience I fitted a stop lamp switch in the cable. You'll have to mackle up your own brake lever too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I am happy enough with a right hand gear lever on my Sport and a left hand one on the Coguaro, the riding positions are so different I do not have a problem. Well except for yesterday when on the Sport. On the Coguaro the reserve tap is on the left. As I was going “pretty well” on the Sport I reached down to turn reserve on and instead grabbed the ignition switch and turned it off.
Sloppy linkages do not help either way.
John
forzamacchi

Post by forzamacchi »

Thanks John.... pulled the linkage and it is indeed a sloppy mess. New ends on the way...Ben
3potjohn wrote:I am happy enough with a right hand gear lever on my Sport and a left hand one on the Coguaro, the riding positions are so different I do not have a problem. Well except for yesterday when on the Sport. On the Coguaro the reserve tap is on the left. As I was going “pretty well” on the Sport I reached down to turn reserve on and instead grabbed the ignition switch and turned it off.
Sloppy linkages do not help either way.
John
1981 Morini Camel 500
1967 Aermacchi 250
1955 Sterzi 125 Turismo
forzamacchi

Post by forzamacchi »

Thanks for the tips Steve! Ben
Steve Brown wrote:Have never heard of this kit for a Camel, only for the road bikes?

I wanted right foot change for my Camel and discovered that the gear linkage from a 500W road model (or equivalent 350 I suppose) fits perfectly. Depending on what you do for footrests you may not even need a linkage, you may find a standard Strada gear lever will do. I went this route as I was also fitting the starter motor from the road bike.

Swapping the rear brake to the proper side, I welded an outer cable stop to the frame on the left side and routed the (home made) cable up over the chainguard and through the frame, underneath the tool box/battery area. For convenience I fitted a stop lamp switch in the cable. You'll have to mackle up your own brake lever too.
1981 Morini Camel 500
1967 Aermacchi 250
1955 Sterzi 125 Turismo