Vacuum fuel tap

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Vacuum fuel tap

Post by 3potjohn »

So I thought I would refresh my petrol tubing as I have some new Ariete ethanol proof tubing.Did my Sport a few weeks ago.No worries. However the same cannot be said on this Coguaro.I have no fuel from the vacuum tap.If I disconnect the fuel line to the tap and replace it with a long piece of tube, petrol in abundance can be seen as soon as the motor fires.
I suppose there might be an airlock. Lord knows how.I have sworn mightily at the banjos which in keeping with all things fuel related are very inaccessible and weep profusely if not jiggled in correctly.Something I can at least relate to.
I shall put the old tube back and try once again.
Keep calm.......
MickeyMoto

Re: Vacuum fuel tap

Post by MickeyMoto »

John,

What is the vacuum pipe like to the tap?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Good as far as I know. Plenty of fuel came out of a clear tube I fitted to the output side.
Given up for the night.
haboola 72

Post by haboola 72 »

It's 3 years since i stripped the fuel tap on the right side . It's a simple diaphragm valve that needed a clean out, that may be your problem.
But looking at my bike just now I see that I've blanked off the vacuum pipe to the fuel tap , and this is the sad part , I don't remember why or when...
Possibly, deciding to leave the original LHS reserve sensor tap off the bike ( a real pain if the tank is being removed from time to time), and replacing it with a standard manual reserve tap with a 20k buffer it made more sense to keep the tank at least half full and rely on the one tap rather than both. If your running low on fuel and flat out on the Monza banking you may experience some fuel starvation but under normal conditions it isn't a problem and simplifies things .
Have you had a chance to enjoy the Coguaro in spite of the glitches?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hi yes in spite of the fuel issues . There are a lot of roads in Devon, ( someone said more than in Belgium) many very narrow so even on a bike if you meet an oncoming car you need to get hard in amongst the bank and brambles. Trouble with high banks is you cannot see what is coming. I have done 900KM in mostly those conditions.
I fitted a sensor reserve and extended the wiring plug so can quickly disconnect. Mind you it can flicker at certain revs, so it is never a perfect world.And a bu**gger to seal the threads.I often find disturbing a dry joint weeps after.
Am going to re-attack this vacuum tap now! My Sport and R75 are quietly sniggering.
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

It was the connecting tube between the carbs. Ok from vacuum tap to rear carb, but the tube leading to the forward banjo, hiding behind my beloved air filter housing had a kink and this carb is much easier to get to.
John