Kanguro mk3 clutch

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Ted.3593

Kanguro mk3 clutch

Post by Ted.3593 »

Hi folks little advise/info needed. Adjusting theclearance on the clutch activation arm in relation to the engine casing. When i get it to the required 15mm spacing as specified I'm left with somewhere near 5mm clearance between the arm and the end of push rod. I would presume this is a sign the clutch plates are in need of replacement, but 1st would like to check the push rod thats fitted is the correct length. Could anyone tell me what the correct length is, or where to find it? No mention of it in any of the paper work/books that I have. As a side note I find the starter is very reluctant to spin her up once the motors well warmed up, is this a symptom of a poor quality oil in the starter ? I've got to admit never come across a starter motor which you put oil in on purpose before.
3potjohn

Re: Kanguro mk3 clutch

Post by 3potjohn »

The starter motor will benefit from a strip down and clean up. I think there is some good info on YouTube. I now have a fairly good starter motor but it only took me about ten years to fully sort it. You may need to acquire new gearbox seals so note the dimensions. Mine had an additional small seal on the roller bearing. ( got them all from simply bearings) You May find a bronze gear needs replacing. My brush holder was heavily corroded so luckily got a new one.A good battery is also needed.
When adjusting the clutch I tend to just get it to work but without the arm getting too close to the chain.The arm should have a raised dimple which presses on the pushrod but they do wear. Still it is easy to examine the clutch as long as you can get all the nuts undone. I pay a lot of attention to those nuts and studs and rightly or wrongly they get a very, very light application of moly grease on the threads.
Good luck John
Ted.3593

Re: Kanguro mk3 clutch

Post by Ted.3593 »

Thanks John, embarrised to say I was going about it all wrong settingup the clutch arm, but have it all set ok now. Though would still be interested to know correct length for the push rod, as I'm sure when Martin (Gelder) had the bike he mentioned something about there being a no. of different lengths available and that it was a future correction he had planned. I'll follow your advise and give the starter a look over.