Stator problems

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Firingonone

Re: Stator problems

Post by Firingonone »

Locating a good x3 stator is proving problematic.Would one off a strada or sport be satisfactory?
As mentioned when I tried my x3 rotor on a strada produced 14+ v but it only has a single connection with the regulator.

(Incidentally can someone change the web site spell check as Strada is often changed to "stress" which is disconcerting!)
norbert

Post by norbert »

As you say it´s not that easy to find a "bodyless stator" But you can use any other from a 350 or 500 as long as you have the correct regulator for it.

I´m not sure if it was in this thread anybody asking for a picture of the aluminium strip to rehold the cables from the stator. The classic version is this one on the upper left side (here with a bodyless stator)
k-DSCI0547.JPG
k-DSCI0547.JPG (62 KiB) Viewed 8003 times
There are some models, mainly the last enduros if I remember well (maybe customs as well) where the cables left the righthand cover underneath going up the right front tube of the frame. In this case the aluminium or whatever strip should be mounted with the lower screw of the stator fixing.

norbert
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi

Just to make sure you can't use the stator off the earlier Kanguro X1,
which was a hybrid 6V/12V system, on an X3.

You could modify by which it means to remake the connections
of the hybrid stator _ i don't think it needs to be rewound, or may be unwound a little to get some extra wire length.
- I know that some people have done this.
If there is someone who has the details to share that would be helpful.
Mark
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Details of how to convert the hybrid 6v/12v stator are here http://motomoriniclub.nl/tech.html#Conversion which links to a PDF document http://motomoriniclub.nl/6-Volt-conversion.pdf

One of my next tasks is to do this conversion. I can't promise when I'll do so as I'm restoring my Kanguro X as and when I can justify the time, however I'll post an update on the forum once I've done so (I should be able to test the results in terms of generator output).
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Looks like this maybe my only option. Thanks for link
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Well after a total of nearly 500 viewings the all the stator hunts has not produced any replies .
Mdina are not showing any 460584s for sale.
Before I invest any more in rewindings could you please assure me that this stator is a morini type and could be made to work on my X3 even if it is at a lower output
IMG_20200702_131745975.jpg
IMG_20200702_131745975.jpg (347.76 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Does anyone have experience/ recommendations for rewinding firms ?
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

From what I can see it does look like one for a Morini. You're welcome to email me more photos (julianharty@gmail.com) and measurements or add them here.

Also, I do have a damaged stator that's probably from an X3, I didn't offer it up as it's untested, missing the wiring, and also the rivets have been removed that hold the centre to the aluminium backplate. I bought it as a project and intend to repair it, however if you're totally stuck then I'm willing to see if we can make a functional stator out of it. Whereabouts are you in the world? My location's on my profile BTW, High Wycombe area.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have a stator, too. I bought it many years ago as a spare. Can't remember if it's a 12V or 6/12V though. I can dig it out if you are interested.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

I have taken a few more pictures as it stands ignition works, rotor is fine magnet( size wise and works on a morini strada ) output red wire approx 30 AC .Professionally rewired ,they sat it is fine have they wired it as for X1 or X2 mixed 6/12v system?
DSC_0010s.jpg
DSC_0010s.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
DSC_0013s.jpg
DSC_0013s.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
DSC_0014s.JPG
DSC_0014s.JPG (39.72 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
Any help welcome
Thanks
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Before I continue, when you measure 30V AC on the red wire what's the other connection to? either of the yellow wires? And did the person who rewired it provide a circuit / winding diagram?

Thanks for the extra photos, I'm no expert on these things, however here's what I can see and suggest from the photos:
  • It looks like a Moto Morini stator.
  • It's unlikely to be the X3 style, they have a sort of wider anvil at the end of all the arms but the one for the ignition coil.
  • Yours seems to be wired to be a pure 12V alternator - it's hard to know without a good understanding of how each coil is wired and connected. There's no grey wire, there are 2 yellow wires (oddly to me they seem to connect to the same coil, the next one clockwise to the ignition coil which looks like it has a white presumably insulating cover of some sort).
If it were my bike I'd use a low-cost 3 phase combined regulator/rectifier and connect both yellow wires and the red one to the 3 yellow wired connections on the combined regulator/rectifier. Sadly for your fault finding there are various types, I'd try one like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-wire-regul ... 030970000? which is probably inexpensive enough to be worth a punt (£8.10 including postage).

Another option is for you to find a willing volunteer (that's not me at the moment as I need to get my Kanguro wiring sorted and test the engine first) who'd be willing to test your stator on their bike. As yours isn't a standard stator then the person testing would need to understand how to test these things.

Another option is to pay for a motorbike wiring guru (there are a couple who advertise in magazines such as practical sportsbikes) to help you resolve whatever's wrong. I've never used these services, however if you can't find an alternative sooner they may be a way to help you get the bike sorted one way or another.

BTW there's a short and perhaps informative guide at https://www.motorcyclepartsstore.co.uk/ ... ectifiers/ it doesn't cover the details of Morinis, etc. it's more to help provide you an idea of how the system works and what can go wrong generally with motorbike alternators, etc.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I wonder if it could be worth you sending it to Benjy Straw now that he is back in business? Hi is trading as Straw Auto Moto Electrico in Kent. What he doesn't know about these isn't a very long list. his email is straw.benjy@btinternet.com
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Looks similar to the one on my Strada. I have the two yellows connected to a Boyer Power Box which gives 12V DC out, the red is tied back and isolated (all 3 go to the Ducatielettronica regulator IIRC).
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I second Steve Brown, ask Benjy.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

I have finally managed to get my stator problems sorted!
Having returned the stator to the winder again to be told " nothing wrong with it" I did as you suggested and called Benjy Straw.
He could not have been more helpful.
Due to the distance Scotland to Kent most of the initial testing was done via WhatsApp! This showed that the stator was not achieving the correct output and ruled out other possibilities
I then sent him the stator and he came up with an ingenious testing procedure which showed one coil was indeed incorrectly wound. He took this to the winder who still disagreed but when it was changed it now works.
I am really grateful to Benjy for his professional service, his patience with my efforts to do the testing on multiple occasions via WhatsApp and for diagnosing the problem and would thoroughly recommend him.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Glad that worked out, did you get a schematic of the correct way to connect the coils?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.