MPG or KPL

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

MPG or KPL

Post by rossguzzi »

I`m looking to do a bit of a trip into the outback. Now I have my Valentini tank on, Im working out how far I can go on a tank.
I think I am getting around town/freeway 17 kpl or 40 mpg. Does this sound right ?
500 Camel.
'It must be a .....'

Re: MPG or KPL

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, 40 mpg is quite poor, I would expect more like 60 mpg +
But it depends on cruising speeds, how you twist the throttle etc.
What are your current carb settings?
Have fun, Ian
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Standard jets and needles but the clip is on the bottom groove. If I put the needle into the middle groove it runs lean and looses power. Where it is now it runs strong. Those figures were riding it fairly easy. I will have to do another run to check.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, are your settings the following?
Pilot 42, Main 122, Starter 48, Needle X8, slide 40, Atomizer 264CE, Float 11.3 g (10mm height), 200 float needle/valve

Might be worth checking the filter and plug colour.

You could try a slightly larger main jet and lift the needle a groove, then re-tune the carbs.

Years ago with a more open exhaust and 130 main jets I was still getting 60+ mpg from my Camel.

Good luck, Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Not actually measured the consumption on mine but it's good. I'd say high 50's for sure and that is when used mainly as a trail bike on our short slow lanes. So if you can keep a higher average pace in a higher gear I'd hope for 50/60 mpg.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.