fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
steveffs

fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Post by steveffs »

Hi I am rebuilding an X3 from a large pile of bits. I am currently stuck with the wiring. so before I start asking what wire goes where I thought I would ask if any one has a wiring diagram for the X3. Also is there a fuse box? all I have found is the Bakerlite junction box one inline fuse and one Diode connector.

Thanks for your help

Steve
jb666

Re: fuse box on X3 and other questions.

Post by jb666 »

Hi Steve,
I'm just finishing the same exercise although I made the pile of bits so had half a chance of putting it back together!!

Wiring wise I haven't found a diagram but it is not that much different from an X2. Fusebox? No there isn't one - it sounds like you've got all the bits there are!

If you need any more info I will happily share my experiences!

John.
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi John , Thanks for the reply. I ordered the X3 parts manual yesterday so hoping that will give me some guidance. However i have a couple of questions to keep me going( hopefully simple!)

Negative earth strap is grounded where on the bike?

Positive strap goes where?

Do any of the electrical cables run up the front spars on the frame or are they all run up the spine?

Air box on before carbs or the other way round? got the carbs on loosely but cant get the air box in ( just doing a dry run)

Are both carbs the same? or is there set carb for front and rear and if so how to tell them apart?

Do the throttle cables run together or either side of head stock?

Any answers would be much appreciated

Steve
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi Steve,

Off the top of my head (without going to the shed as it's peeing down!) -

Negative earth strap goes to the engine either to the bolt between the cylinders or the one behind the rear pot.

Positive strap goes to electric start relay which is mounted on the flat plate just in front of the rear wheel. I've relocated mine to just behind the headstock - replaced with a Durite relay.

Sidestand warning switch, neutral wire, transducer wire run along the lower frame then up the front tubes.

Air box first, carbs are the same front and back, throttle cables come down together and run down the top spine tube. Rear is slightly longer than the front. Getting the carbs on is a bit of a bugger!

If you need any more info let me know - I can look at mine or ask my brother to look at his!!

John.
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi Thanks for the response. Starting to make some sense of what goes where and I now have the battery in.

However i have found a cable approx 40cm with five wires which has been cut at one end so i have almost no idea what should be on the ends or even how long it should be and where it goes.

So what i have is five wires, with the following

Green in double female socket with a black wire. which i have worked out is connected to the fuel tap. both of the other ends are cut
Blue wire with a double crimp spade again other end is cut
Pink? wire with a double crimp spade again other end is cut
Red male spade ended wire again the other end is cut

Any ideas?

Also hopefully simple, the brown wires hard wired into the tranducers/coils are the earths and get connected directly to the negative terminal on the battery.?

Cheers

Steve
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Schoolboy error.

Just worked out that i had five wire lead did not connect to the fuel tap. Worked out which one that is. Have now worked out it attaches to the two pin housing in the head lamp. still lost on the other wires in that cable if any one has any ideas?

Also just wondering if all the electrics work just of the battery and without the ignition side connected/engine running. Looks to me its all separate but having never turned the bike on thought i would ask.

Cheers

Steve
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve, I had an X3 with modified wiring so can't comment on exactly what should go where, however I'd expect all the electrics should work from the battery once the ignition key is turned on, so the electric fuel tap (as it sounds like you have one), pilot, head and tail lights. Brake light, indicators, and horn.

I'm soon going to create a custom wiring loom for my older X Kanguro as I'm converting it to 12V (they came with a mixed 6V/12V system). I'll post my progress here on the forum together with what I learn about the standart wiring, perhaps it'll help you somehow. Meanwhile I hope John and others will be able to provide you info relevant to the X3. Good luck, Julian
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi thanks for the help so far. If there is anyone with an X3 please can someone take a picture of two of any wiring for the bike or point me in direction for pics. junction box and head light wiring would be really helpful. So far i have i got the following going.

Neutral switch and warning light working
Low fuel light working
Both tacho and speedo lamps and pilot light and rear light bulbs working

Flasher but on pilot bulb?
Horn but not isolated through switch so can be operated with ignition off?
Indicators but very fast and dim at the rear?

Still no head lights and high beam light
Not sure of the side stand wiring red wire with two spurs and a purple with 3 spurs

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Steve
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Steve,
Good to see you've figured out some of the wiring. A lot of what you listed yesterday relates to the bleeping box fitted to comply with Euro regs. It is designed to bleep with the indicators (green/black and white black), with the sidestand switch and has a connection to the neutral. As you make reference to wires chopped off I can only assume the previous owner got fed up with it or it may have followed my example which doesn't beep more whimpers!!

Horn wiring - one side should be brown one side and light blue - from the horn switch. I mistakenly connected that to an earth blue so the horn was on all the time.

Purple is supply to flasher relay, bleeper, sidestand and rear brake switch.

John.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Hi Steve,
Theres a copy of the owners manual for an X3 on the Danish Morini club site. Its a pdf, not brilliant quality but it does have a wiring diagram at the back which might help you. The address is -
http://morinist.dk/morini/x3.pdf
Dennis.
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi Dennis

Thank you, looks useful.

Cheers

Steve
steveffs

Post by steveffs »

Hi All.

Thanks again for the link to the electrical diagram which was pretty much spot on and as it stands i have all the lights, warning lights, brake lights, horn and indicator lights working. Most of the problems traced back to broken warning light holders ( i found replacements through www.classiccarleds.co.uk)

The wire on the petrol tank was broken and on investigation i found a resistor wired in from the tap to the two pin ( i presume to lower the brightness of the warning light when on)

Just a few of hopefully final electrical questions.

What is the spec of the battery for the X3?

I have my indicators working ( if faster than i would expect) ) without the 5 pin relay. does anyone have an idea of what to fit and how said wires plug in?

Also the earth of the rear indicators are according to the diagram to be earthed through the starter relay which is then itself is grounded. However there are two unmarked pins on this relay i am presuming they are both earths? The two large threaded main pin terminals are also unmarked on the starter relay, does it matter which is the battery feed and the starter motor output?

And finally ( i hope!) there are two brown wires from the coils with ring ends where do these wires earth?

Again thanks for all the help and input

Cheers

Steve
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Steve,

Original battery was 12V 18 A/h.
Indicator relay has 2 wires only (27 on diagram).
Brown wires are for the reserve and neutral lights?

Hope this helps, have fun, Ian
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I think those brown wires from the coils must be the earth leads surely? Especially if the transducers are replacements.
That 5 pin relay must be the sidestand relay/cut out/alarm whatsit.
The starter relay seems to be work wired either way round, obviously the small wires are the one from the starter button and the other goes to earth, while the two big terminals are the big leads from the battery to the starter motor. Mind you, I'd think about replacing this relay for something high amp rated. I had two bikes where the relay internal contacts welded together and had the starter spinning when the engine was running, worst still turning the ignition off won't help as the circuit is direct! I got the seat up and battery disconnected pronto. Others have mentioned this too, I guess it may be they burn when a poor condition battery is trying to turn a poor starter and the current draw increases? it's a guess...
Just earth the rear indicators to any convenient frame earth point, they don't have to go to the starter relay it was just a convenient place for the factory.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

Hi Steve,
The 2 leads from the coils are earths and go to a small bolt on the frame left hand side just in front of the battery carrier.

I replaced the starter relay as it was rusted to wotsit!! My starter motor relay is a Durite 100A unit mounted up by the headstock. I used the original cables but the other way round - short from battery to relay, long from relay down to starter.

The 5 pin things is the indicator/ sidestand squeaker.

Have fun,

John.