Charging problem

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Firingonone

Charging problem

Post by Firingonone »

My x3 starts first kick or easily by electric starting the battery has been trickle charged. After a ride the battery is flat and the electric starter won't turn it over.
Putting a volt meter across the battery shows no rise with revving.
Does this mean the charging stator has packed up or has the regulator gone?
julianharty

Re: Charging problem

Post by julianharty »

Can you measure the AC output from the stator when the engine is running? That might help provide a clue where the fault(s) lie. Also, if you've a fuse and any connectors between the stator and the regulator and the regulator and the battery, do check all these are healthy and clean.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

I had a similar problem with charging with my Coguaro. Everything looked OK, stator output was good but no volts at battery. I thought it was the regulator but looking closely the spring in the fuse holder wasn't putting any pressure on the fuse at the battery. New fuseholder - problem solved.

As always check the cheap things first - connections and earths. Check the output of the stator on the two yellow wires - off the top of my head 96V ac rings a bell (don't quote me - it's in the blue book which is in the garage and I'm not getting wet this time of night!!) then check the output of the regulator at its terminals. From then on it could be swapping things out - good luck!!

John.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

jb666 wrote:I had a similar problem with charging with my Coguaro. Everything looked OK, stator output was good but no volts at battery. I thought it was the regulator but looking closely the spring in the fuse holder wasn't putting any pressure on the fuse at the battery. New fuseholder - problem solved.

As always check the cheap things first - connections and earths. Check the output of the stator on the two yellow wires - off the top of my head 96V ac rings a bell (don't quote me - it's in the blue book which is in the garage and I'm not getting wet this time of night!!) then check the output of the regulator at its terminals. From then on it could be swapping things out - good luck!!

John.
This.
A small multimeter should come as part of the standard toolkit on any Italian machine ;)
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Thanks will follow those ideas up and get back
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Damn! Not the cheap problems. Sent off the stator for repair. They can't remagnetise the flywheel, any ideas who can do it?
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

EV Guru Paul Compton, he's your man.