Swing arm spindle

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Re: Swing arm spindle

Post by rossguzzi »

More hickups.
I ordered 2 new valves as I got lucky and got a good head from USA. Valves arrived (4 weeks) and they packed a new inlet and a 2nd hand exhaust ! I paid for new.
I have yet to get the spindle bushes done. Will update soon.
Cheers.
PS check your packages from Mdina carefully.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

So I am going to get my spindle turned down slightly, and get some poly bushes made to suit.
My question is, does it matter if I have wear in the spindle where the side plates mate to it ? Turning the spindle down to suit newly made bushes would make the side plates redundant ? I would keep them there but they would not be needed as far as play in the swingarm ?
Just measured them. Chain side, side plate hole 18.44 widest 18.2 at narrowest point across the hole. So even if the spindle was new (at 18mm) there is a bit of play.
Can I just skim the spindle down to 17.5, install new poly bushes (tightish fit) and not worry about the side plates ?

Thoughts please.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I thought I had explained how to recover the spindels and make plastic bushes before. Again, turn the spindel only to remove ovality usually to about 1.5mm. Make the bushes to be a tight fit in the trunnions and the bore a transition fit on the spindel, the bushes canbe longer than the trunion so you can do away with any shims and once fitted to the swinging arm either have protruding to take up the thickness of the shims or jusst over and trim so a gentle tap fit, they do give. The spindel if made as above will on fitting the spindel go from a loshes transition fit wwith the bushes out to a tightish fit when the spindel is fitted, a light coaating of sislcon will aid fitting. The idea of the tightish fit is that the bushes will depossit a thin coating onto the spindel so that you haave plstic-plastic bearing surfaces so although some stiction at first this will ease off. You do not need to grease ever again as I have found out with all my bikes wwith high mileages. Phosper bronze ans steel spindels plus grease produces a nice grindding paste. Phospor bronze or any brass bearings need to be run in oil not grease to wash out debris which will always occur with metaal to metal bearings where you cannot achieve hydrodynamic lubrication. Simple my dera Watson!
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

PS. Make sure the plastic you use is a hard one and not hygroscopic like the nylons which, and I know you don't see much water, swell and then deform so that when it dries out again tends to stay partly in the distorted state, ok for over here I suppose.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thank you Harry.
Onwards.