Some mk 1 Camel questions.

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
rossguzzi

Some mk 1 Camel questions.

Post by rossguzzi »

Are the spark plug leads coming out of the transducers replaceable ? Do they just unscrew out ? I want to renew caps and leads. Are they special in any way ?

What is the model designation of the front forks. Marzocchi __________. I'm thinking of complete overhaul instead of just seals. Even thinking of getting the gold valve emulisers .

To stop the exhaust manifold unscrewing from the head, has anyone tried lock wiring it ?

Is just one turn out on the air mixture screw getting to the stage of needing to change the pilot jet ? I feel I may even need to go to 3/4 of a turn out for it to run the best just off idle.

Has anyone tried installing a slightly less stiff springs in the carbs. I am thinking of getting a spring maker to make some, say 20% softer. Then I thought perhaps someone has already found some from another bike. A slightly lighter pull on the throttle would be nice.

Can the inside of the headlight be re chromed ? Mine has got some minor peeling. Would like to refresh it. Any suggestions ?

I love fine tuning. :mrgreen:
Last edited by rossguzzi on 01 Apr 2019 10:31, edited 2 times in total.
hendre

Re: Some mk 1 Camel questions.

Post by hendre »

1) leads screw out just fine :)
2) ?
3) I have lock wire on my 3 1/2, just drill a small hole in the crown nut uppers and one in the valve cover. Thin wire is enough
4) have you overhauled/cleaned the carbs already? Sounds you have a small air leak somewhere. Spray your rubber carb boots with brake cleaner, if it revs up they have to be replaced
5) don't mess with the springs, just get Venhill throttle cables with teflon inner liner and route the cables in a perfect smooth path along the frame
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Do you mean 3/4 of a turn out or 3 to 4 turns out?
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Three quarter of a turn out. Carbs have had new kits through out. I will try spraying carb cleaner around the rubbers. But I had them off, cleaned, looked good and reinstalled carefully.

Venhill throttle cables with teflon inner liner. Sounds good. Just looked at there website but cant see a twin pull twistgrip. Guess I could get their 2 into 1 junction box and 3 cables. Come to think about it I could get new cables all round. Front brake and clutch could do with Teflon as well.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

3/4 of one turn is probably not enough. Surprised it runs. The DellOrto carb screws out for richer i believe. I'm sure somebody who knows will be able to explain it better.
norbert

Post by norbert »

The "air mixture screw" only regulates the amount of idle mixture not the ralation air-gasoline. On diferent bikes/carbs I turned them out from 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns. And even at the two carbs of the same motor it might be diferent. I allways first try to run the motor with only one cilinder (with elevated slides) and then playing with the small screw till I find out where the max. of revs begins while turning them out (and fix them a little bit more open for assurance). Then the same with the other Carb/cilinder. It´s not that inusual that the srews are not exactly the same turns out. After that running on two pots synchronizing the slides by listening, observing the rec. counter or using a "Twinmax" (nice instrument). And at the end adjusting the cable length, so the slides open at the same moment.
It´s very important to have a look at the little mixture screw, they should have a fine top (pointed?). And they better have a little O-ring and washer (to protect the O-ring against the spring) :wink:

norbert
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Hi,
Thanks for replies.
I was careful when installing the kits into the carbs. I know they have all the o rings in the right spot. Also the little washers. I set the carbs ballance via mercury tubes and all that you mention is done. I idles fine. I will play a bit more soon.
Angelo63

Post by Angelo63 »

2) The front fork model is Marzocchi Piffero 38 mm diameter.

http://www.gilera-bi4.it/download/manua ... 203-80.pdf