Camel x3 Headlight

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
RudgeRadial

Camel x3 Headlight

Post by RudgeRadial »

Hi, I have recently bought an X3 and was wondering if the headlight is the same as a Fiat 127. This would allow me to swap it to L/H dip and keep my MOT tester happy !

Regards
Steve Brown

Re: Camel x3 Headlight

Post by Steve Brown »

I wondered the same too. I never managed to find out but did find the same lamp is used in various Cagiva and Ducati models. If it's just an MoT question you can blank off the wrong side dip with tape. A trip to a motor factors or scrap yard might be the only answer to the original question though.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I've converted 501 Camel and 500 road square headlights to dip to the left (UK). I assume your headlights also have the Asymetric/Duplo (P45T) bulbs?
If so there is a shield in the bulb mounted near to the filament which defines the area of the dipped beam, therefore you simply make a new slot in the reflector mount to rotate the bulb to dip on the other side: it's quite logical when you look at the bulb and think of how the shield blocks the light.

Looking from the rear the slot to locate the bulb will be at the bottom (6 o'clock) you need to make a new slot 3mm clockwise from this slot.
Cibie lights fitted the Renault 4 and Citroen 2cv had a sliding slot to convert the headlight: which is where I got the idea/solution and 3mm from.

Trust this helps, Ian
RudgeRadial

Post by RudgeRadial »

Hi, Thanks guys, Particularly Ian, I get what you are saying, but have not explored the headlight itself. Looks like I will be busy tomorrow !

Thanks again

Gordon
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Just to say, thank you very much to Ian for a very practical and helpful way to modify the dip and for reminding me of how the Cibie headlights work. I've not had a Cibie headlight in a bike since the 1980's however I still remember just how much better they were than the standard units in most bikes. I've learnt a new technique from you and will try it when I have an opportunity. (My Kanguro has a different modern headlight unit with the correct dip for the UK).