electric problem

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
elektrobank

electric problem

Post by elektrobank »

Hi all

i have an electric problem on my 501 camel...

when the engine is turned on 12v lights turns on automatically but after some seconds they shut off (this is the problem)

i measured with an ohm meter the impedence of the coils but the only one i can have a good value is the coil reserved for ignition (220ohm)

when i measure the 12v and 6v coils i found there is no impedance....

what can i do?
i'm planning to visit corsica this summer and i want my bike in perfect condition 8)

thanks in advance to all
cosworth
924T
Camel 501
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

The coil measuring 220ohm will be the ignition coil, your 6v/12v coils should measure approx 0.8-1.0 ohm. On the 6v/12v bikes the grey wire from your alternator will carry the 12v volt. With the bike running measure or connect a 12v bulb and see if you get a good output. If you do I suspect it is a poor connection somewhere between the headlight and the coil as the coil directly feeds 12vac unregulated or rectified to the headlight.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
elektrobank

Post by elektrobank »

robinh44 wrote:Hi,

The coil measuring 220ohm will be the ignition coil, your 6v/12v coils should measure approx 0.8-1.0 ohm. On the 6v/12v bikes the grey wire from your alternator will carry the 12v volt. With the bike running measure or connect a 12v bulb and see if you get a good output. If you do I suspect it is a poor connection somewhere between the headlight and the coil as the coil directly feeds 12vac unregulated or rectified to the headlight.

Regards

Robin
Hi robin, thanks for the reply

today in the afternoon i will look for some poor connection around the bike

at the momenti have a little bit different setup that the original morini loom
i'm running only on 12volt, without battery for the front and rear light always powered on from more than one year but at the time that i do this "mod" i needed to install a 12v 9ah-max rectifier from a piaggio vespa because when the engine is revved over 3.000rpm every kind of light is burned...

on www.motomoriniclub.nl i read this:
"Between the metal mass of the generator
and green wire you should measure something
between 170 and 250 Ohm. In that case the
yellow ignition coil is OK."

but if you take a look on www.morinispecial.it you can read that a good value is 300ohm, much more than what is stated on moriniclub.nl

so which measurement is good?

i hope that all that info maybe usefoul
thanks
cosworth
924T
Camel 501
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

The measurements for the ignition coil will vary, I wound my own coil and aimed for 250-300 ohms for long life. There is enough evidence that morini's will run on values from 170-300, but maybe some are harder to start than others. Regarding your regulator, this might be failing at higher revs/voltage. I would check the output of the 12v from your alternator at higher engine speeds, and if possible try another regulator if the output appears ok and there are no bad connections.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
elektrobank

Post by elektrobank »

robinh44 wrote:Hi,

The measurements for the ignition coil will vary, I wound my own coil and aimed for 250-300 ohms for long life. There is enough evidence that morini's will run on values from 170-300, but maybe some are harder to start than others. Regarding your regulator, this might be failing at higher revs/voltage. I would check the output of the 12v from your alternator at higher engine speeds, and if possible try another regulator if the output appears ok and there are no bad connections.

Regards

Robin
Hi Robin!

i solved the problem! founded a bad earhing point :P

now everything works fine once again!, many thanks for your help :P
cosworth
924T
Camel 501