Mk 1 Camel Info. required

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Derek Wright

Mk 1 Camel Info. required

Post by Derek Wright »

Have had my Camel on the road since May and overall very happy with it but have a couple of problems.
I've had the bike about 4 years and it was off the road for some time before that.
It appeared pretty sound when I got it and that has proved to be the case. The carbs were gummed up but cleaned up ok and after an oil change, belt change and manual oiling of the rockers, ignition check, it started up quite easily.
Anyway, to the problems, the petrol tank, is a steel tank available for the Mk1 ?
Mine, an import model, has the fibre glass tank which I think looks lovely but even after lining it with the Caswell system for fibre glass, and using only premium unleaded there are a few blisters starting to show on the top of the tank, the bottom seems to be ok. I think perhaps a few spots have been missed when lining it, the problem is its not possible to see inside the tank so its not possible to see if its fully lined.
The tank is bolted on at the front and sits on rubbers at the rear.
I like the shape of the tank and wondered if the UK Sahara models which I think had the same shape tank, had steel tanks. Does anyone know ?
Current plan is to have another go at relining.
Next problem is the rear shocks, original Marzocchi with the attached remote chamber - does anyone know the actual designation for these as I would like to try and get a spares kit. They work reasonably well but the bump stops have disintegrated so would like to do an overhaul. They seem to damp ok and only bottom out with a passenger. This takes me on to the next problem how are they adjusted ? They do not have the cam type of adjuster as on most shocks.
There is some info on the web for a similar remote chamber type Marzocchi called the Strada but this has the external came adjuster - does anyone know if these are same internally as strip down diagrams and details are given in the article.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Mk 1 Camel Info. required

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Yes the UK Mk1 and Mk2 (also known as Mk1a) had steel tanks. The Mk1 steel tanks are all slightly different suggesting they were individually fabricated.
At the moment I'm running a late 500 camel with a fibre glass tank and have no problems in the past 3 years apart from the small capacity; I do keep an eye on it just in case.
The rear MX 580 Marzocchi shocks have no preload adjustment and the max air pressure in the remote damper is 26 psi.
My bump stops have also disintegrated; I've tried to source a spares kit with no luck so far although any bump stops of the right internal diameter would do.
Let us know how you get on, regards, Ian
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the response. Fingers crossed my tank does not seem to be getting worse after initial blistering, still going to give it a further lining though and try and concentrate on the top of the tank where I'm having the problem.
You did'nt say if you re- lined your tank, if not I may have a different problem.
Might try and get a steel tank but guess they may be a bit scarce.
Not having much info on Camels, can you give some dates for the twin shock models against Mk. numbers ?
Now I have the shock reference will try and source some spares, not to worried about the bump stops as I have something which I thing will do the job. It's the bladder in the remote chambers which I think need replacing, when checking them for pressure, oil came out of the valve which I believe is an indication of a problem.Will only replace the bump stops If I strip the shocks, did think about fitting stops without stripping, using a series of split rubber washers bonded together with super glue. Still using the bike though as the damping seems ok. Pity about ' no pre-load ' as with a pillion they did bottom out a couple of times, not a heavy pillion either.
Love riding the Camel, at least one of my Kanguro's will have to go.
Cheers
Derek
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You could always turn the tank into just a cover for a fabricated steel tank.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
'It must be a .....'

Hi Derek, the fibre glass tank of my late Camel hasn't been lined that's why I keep an eye on it.
Dates of genuine UK Camels imported by Harglo; Mk1s are usually X or Y reg and the Mk2s (Mk1a) I've seen have been A or B reg.
Just to confuse things my later imported 500 Camel is A reg.
There appears to be 4 different 500 twin shock models and only the first 2 were imported by Harglo; also as no parts books were produced information on all models is scarce.
Probably not much chance of a steel tank as very few bikes were imported, yet it might be easier to get a new fibre glass tank that can cope with the current fuel moulded from yours.
A 500 road bike tank fits straight on the Camel frame but would need modifying at the front to clear the off road forks yet could be a good basis for a steel tank in the hands of an expert.
Take care, Ian
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Paul,
Not a bad Idea turning the existing tank into a cover but only if it became a write off, thankfully not there yet. Mind you, think it would be beyond my capabilities to fabricate a tank, think I will go for the modified 500 tank as suggested by Ian, and work on improving the sealing of the fibre glass tank.

Ian,
According to my reg. document my Camel is a 1981 model registered in 1996, W reg.
Pity about the lack of information on the Camels, would be nice to see pictures of the four models you mention, perhaps if any are available, the club could put some on the site.
I think my model is fairly standard although the front end has been changed and has a single disc fitted, I have the original forks and drum brake but as the brake is smaller than the one on my X1 Kanguro and that was not to effective, think I will be leaving the assembly on.
Will be looking for a 500 tank for modification to ensure I can keep the bike on the road.
Thanks for the info., will update if I sort out the tank.
'It must be a .....'

Hi Derek, was your Camel once owned by Simon Powell?
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Ian, No idea, do not have any history of the machine.
I bought it from a chap in Nottingham, Van Tran, from whom I had previously bought an X3 Kanguro.
Don't think Van ever had it on the road, have been meaning to e.mail him to let him know that I had got the Camel sorted and on the road, will get that done and see if I can get some previous owner info. Reg. document states there were 5 previous owners so it has been around a bit.
Will keep in touch and post a picture if I find out how to do it. Cheers, Derek
'It must be a .....'

Hi Derek, Simon Powell contacted me about 9 years? ago as he had a Mk1 Camel with seat, side panels and speedo moulding missing and wondered if I could help. It also had disc brake forks from a Guzzi? but he had just bought forks, front wheel and engine from a UK Mk2 (Mk1a) Camel which had been chopped (Pete Mumfords bike). I never saw his Mk1 but I remember he said it was a private import with a glass fibre tank.
I was able to give Simon a Mk1 seat/cover pattern and he ended up buying an electic start 501 Camel from me; he put the engine in a 500 road bike.
Check the forum as I think Van Tran was looking for parts (side panels?) a few years ago.
If it is the same bike the Mk2 fork legs will be too short yet you could fit shorter rear shocks.
It's also possible that its just the sliders and wheel that have been changed if they are all 38mm, keeping the Morini spec Marzocchi triple clamps (no rubber mounts for the bars), legs and internals.
As usual lots of possibilities, take care, Ian
Derek Wright

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Ian,
Sounds like it could be the same bike. It came with new side panels which I think Van had bought from someone who had had them moulded.
Chris at NLM advised me that he believes the Marzocchi forks and 21" front wheel are from a Guzzi V65 or 35 TT., however the caliper, twin pot brembo is not the original to the forks having been mounted with a home made adaptor plate. I don't think the bike had been run with this set up and needed a bit of tweaking before I was happy with it. The breaking is quite good though but a little harsh at slow speed and care is needed. The forks are 38 mm with no rubber mounts for the bars, reckon I will be leaving them on for the moment but will check the length of the others for comparison.
When received there was a Kanguro type square headlamp cowl fitted and wired in but no speedo / Camel cowl. I have since fitted a round headlamp and mechanical Kanguro rev counter. The speedo drive has given a problem, obviously this did not match the Kanguro speedo so got hold of a Guzzi item but this runs miles fast too. I've been told that all of this period Guzzi speedos are the same but the 21" wheel models have a different drive ratio so it looks like mine has the wrong drive. The correct drive is available but also thinking about maybe fitting a modern digital unit.
The seat appears to have been modified, being thin at the front exposing the frame tubes. 12 volt electrics fitted.
Very happy with the bike and not to worried about the non original bits as long as I can use it, I will however try to get it back to original gradually.
Not sure where you are located, would be nice to see your Camel and tax your knowledge on them.
Derek
'It must be a .....'

Hi Derek, It does sound like the same bike and not surprising really as there are only a few around.
I'm in South Wales and as my son is in Leicester Uni I'll be in your neck of the woods during October half term but also intend to visit family in Northamptonshire too, so time might be tight. We could meet up if you're close, let me know by PM.

Are you in the Morini Riders Club? as I've written a brief article about Camels which should appear in the future but only Dave the editor knows when.
I've photos/slides of all Camels but sadly not in a digital format.

Glad you're enjoying the Camel, take care, Ian