Kanguro / Excalibur frame differences?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
MickeyMoto

Kanguro / Excalibur frame differences?

Post by MickeyMoto »

There has been talk on here recently that the Kanguro/Camel square tube frame is similar to the Excalibur. Apart from the twin shock - mono shock are there any other differences?

I was thinking of steering geometry etc. I presume the smaller rear wheel (16"?) and the rear suspension makes the Excalibur lower?

thanks,
swtuggle

Re: Kanguro / Excalibur frame differences?

Post by swtuggle »

Since I'm determined to morph my bike, I've been comparing my Excalibur's frame with pics of square-frame Camels I find on the web, and they appear to be almost identical, except for the rear suspension mounting. However, the Excal has two separate triangulated attach points per side to the backbone, and the Camel has just the one horizontal tube attaching to the backbone. It makes me believe the Excalibur has better longitudinal torsional rigidity. As bad as its ergos are, my Excalibur holds a line through bumpy corners impeccably.

Somebody here said they thought the Excalibur and Camel forks are the same, but the sliders are definitely not the same. Different casting and seals with less axle overhang on the Excalibur. From what I can tell, the triple clamps are the same. My forks have 38mm tubes, not sure of those on the Camel.

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0

Steve
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks Steve,

I'll soon find out when my 'ugly duckling' turns up. I'll put the two side by side and see if I can play spot the difference....

I know people hate the styling, but I would still be tempted to just change the handlebars and ride it.....
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

2 questions answered... the forks on the Excalibur are shorter than the Kanguro, and the frame mounts for the tank are different.

Need to get the seat off next and have a longer look.

I'll see if the wheels can be swappeed as the forks will fit.. a wire wheeled cruiser?

The possibilities are endless.....
swtuggle

Post by swtuggle »

You mention doing a supermoto style. Does the fork valving feel considerably different between the Excal and the Camel?

I raised my forks 5/8" (10mm) and installed Progressive Suspension shocks which are 13 1/2" (343mm) versus the stock 12 1/2" (318mm). Both of these changes have leveled out the frame/engine a bit more, reducing that nose high/tail dragger look. Haven't ridden it since the shocks were swapped.

Does yours have the black cast alloy wheels or the built-up polished Akronts like mine?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Steve,

I haven't ridden the Excalibur yet. Went to get it tested this morning, it ran out of petrol then the rear cylinder filled with gas because of muck in the needle valve, so took it home and had a few things off.

I also noticed the rear sprocket nuts were loose and the guy said the bike pulled to the left under braking... the handlebars were loose.... who had the bright idea of hiding the screws for the handlebar cover under a sticker? These were missed by the last tester as it only failed on the front brake and headlight aim and has been ridden 6 miles.... allegedly as the speedo was not working. Hopefully fixed by pushing in the 90 degree angle joint.

The wheels are the black alloy ones that look like late Honda Comstars.

Although the frame layout is the same there are a few differences. I was going to try and fit in the Kanguro rear wheel first, the swinging arm is different so need to see if it is a straight swap. The seat and tank are not a direct swap. Was thinking of trying the X2 Camel / Kanguro tank and the Kanguro forks. Was aslo thinking of trying the Kanguro handlebars.

I do want to ride it first to see what it is like. If it handles as well as people say then I may leave it as there can't be many around.

Mike.
swtuggle

Post by swtuggle »

Strange that so many bits were loose. Nothing better for a bike than an attentive owner. The sticker was missing from mine when I got it, so it was easy to figure it out when I changed the handlebars.

How are the swingarms different? Steel vs. alloy, length?

If you were to install the Kanguro forks, wouldn't that just pitch the nose up that much further?

As for the rear, I've noticed that after mounting the 1" longer shocks, in addition to having previously mounted a 39 vs. 45 tooth sprocket (smaller dia.), the chain rests on the nylon guide, suspension unloaded. I assume it does the same on Camels or Kanguros since their swingarm angle is so much steeper.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hi folks, just to add something to the discussion, I found out that the heigth of the Excaliburforks is exactly the same as that on the 2nd series 500 Camel (and 38mm as well). I have fitted it in my Scramblerproject with the front wheel from a Cagiva Elefant and the Excalburcaliper, which work fine together.
Here it is:
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Has this been a secret? I like it, it's an imagination masterpiece.
Is it an ExCamel, a Camguro or even a Kamibur?
You need to tell us what the parts are, the foot rests seem to be off an electricity pylon or I may be mistaken.
Explain yourself Sir!
Perhaps we need an inspiration section?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hey, thanx for the compliment! I was quite content with the styling, but it's now more a nightmare since I still can't figure out why once in a while it starts first kick and most of the time tries do destroy my foot when kicking back real hard. Something with the kokusan-ignition and not getting to find the right carbs settings :?

The names are good alternatives, but I like to call it the Scrammello :)
Actually it's a 2nd series Camel frame and tank, Excalibur 501-engine and electrics, kanguro rear wheel, mudguards are from UFO (they have a nice retro-catalogue). Footrests and sidecovers are from an old 3 1/2 and I stole the rubbers from a little kid's bicycle (kidding). Yokes are Marzocchi's but came off a KTM. Exhausts are megatonreplica's with a homemade collector :-)

I have also noticed that the 501 frames lookalike a lot. For instance you can also fit the Excalibur luggage rack to the Camel/Kanguro frame.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Love the Scrambler look...

I found today that the fork legs are different at the bottom and the brake calipers are too. The discs are different, too. The Kanguro are Grimeca the Excalibur are Brembo. The Kanguro front wheel would not fit in the Excalibur forks as a straight swap.... that would mean fitting the Kanguro rear wheel and the front forks.... but I think the centre stand is not tall enough.

Onwards and backwards.....
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

hello Hombre, what a lovely looking bike. regards Pete. :D
hombre

Post by hombre »

MickeyMoto wrote:Love the Scrambler look...

I found today that the fork legs are different at the bottom and the brake calipers are too. The discs are different, too. The Kanguro are Grimeca the Excalibur are Brembo. The Kanguro front wheel would not fit in the Excalibur forks as a straight swap.... that would mean fitting the Kanguro rear wheel and the front forks.... but I think the centre stand is not tall enough.

Onwards and backwards.....
Thanks guys :)
I had to change the bearings in the frontwheel to use the original axle and also cut up a spacer from another bike I still had...