Camel Silencers

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Chips1953

Camel Silencers

Post by Chips1953 »

I've been doing things with the Silencers on the Camel, because they needed welding and welding on top of old welds and almost nothing to weld to.
So I had a look around and saw an add on Ebay for some silencers hand made in the UK for trials bikes, old un's.
This is link to the ad, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-TRIALS- ... 4216607%26
They are a work of art. They were lengthened by 6 inches and I had extra bosses put on to fit covers and hanging brackets all for the same price. I suspect that I'll have to re jet, but that another post, possibly.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
swtuggle

Re: Camel Silencers

Post by swtuggle »

Curious to hear if you've mounted the new silencers, and if you've had to rejet.

Steve
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

It should be by the end of February, all things being equal.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

The Camel is now up and running with the cans from EBay, they sound really wonderful and I have not had to rejet.
The company who make them are http://www.silverbackmanufacturing.com/ ... rials.html
They will modify to your design within reason.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
swtuggle

Post by swtuggle »

Which ones did you purchase, the oval cylinders or the canteen shaped ones? Got any pictures of them mounted or a youtube clip of the Camel running? What's the significance of pre-65?
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi
I purchased the oval cans which were as standard 12 inches long, but had the modified to be 18 inches long with 2 M8 bosses on either side to make them identical on both sides so as they were interchangable. At this stage I wasn't sure as to how I was going to fit them to the frame. I also purchased two 6 inch stainless extension tubes to extend the original stainless pipes from NLM. I should have extended the silencers another 4 inches to add extra sound deadening in hindsight.
I measured the position of the mountings on the Camel and had the bosses fitted to match, so that I could mount them with brackets on the inside or outside of the line of the seat edges. I have fitted them on the out side as can be seen from the pictures and also have made some heat sinks to protect the rider/pillion from burns.
The pre 65 is only because that's what Silverback call them.
The pics will be along tonight.
Hope this helps. They are loud but not too loud, I may be able to add a baffle to the end of the cans to lessen the noise. Work well and look good as far as I'm concerned. Also about an eighth of the weight of the originals.
Attachments
camel silencer.jpg
camel silencer.jpg (236.34 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
Last edited by Chips1953 on 26 Mar 2013 11:45, edited 2 times in total.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The show organisers thought they were quite loud last night......