Kanguro - ignition or fuel?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
MickeyMoto

Kanguro - ignition or fuel?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

Riding along on my Kanguro yesterday the engine cut out and would not restart even after turning on reserve. Front plug showed no spark. Recovered back home (thanks to the insurance recovery) and the bike started then stopped again and would not restart. I had been riding at a steady 60 before that with no signs of any problems.

I am suspecting the magneto coil as it affected both cylinders and suddenly cut.

Anybody had a similar problem?

thanks,

Mike.
72degrees

Re: Kanguro - ignition or fuel?

Post by 72degrees »

I'm afraid that with an old Morini ignition failure always has to be prime suspect. Sudden loss of spark on both cylinders certainly points at the magneto coil. Could be just the 'green wire' feed I suppose or even the main earth but a failed coil seems most likely. It could be the pick up though. I once had one go fairly suddenly and on both cylinders, but to be fair that was because of not checking the timing rotor securing screw after a change to mechanical tacho drive. I also loned a pickup to Jem at Cadwell to get home as his was refusing to produce a spark at all.

Time to get out the mutlimeter and do a few resistance and voltage checks, though a substitution test is the best for the pickup if you have a suitable one you can swap in.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

thanks for the response. I think it may be time for a stripdown.... always the way, my wife had an MG and she broke the key off in the ignition. Don't worry, says I, soon be fixed. 18 months later with new body panels....

So two Morinis to fettle.....
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The magneto coil appears to be open circuit - I cannnae get a reading from the green wire.....