Project Kanguro Supermoto - COMPLETED!!

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
robinh44

Project Kanguro Supermoto - COMPLETED!!

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Well after just over a year of building my frankenstein Morini is completed. I purchased the 1984 Morini Kanguro X1 350 in May 06 and have been mutilating it ever since. Combining parts from the best bikes in the world I now have a machine which comprises of parts from Moto Morini, Ducati, Husqvarna, BMW, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, Yamaha, Royal Enfield and even a shim in the clutch from a Rover Mini ball joint!!

This is what it started as>

After a day I had what I wanted from the Morini>

And this is the final result>

The headlamp nacelle was my nod to the Manx Norton, I needed something to fill the gap between the headlamp and the forks and hide all the wiring and relays as there is not room under the seat.

The casing below just over week ago had a 2 inch hole in it when the flywheel nut came off during a test run, thanks to JB Weld and NLM I repaired it in a week>

Due to the Husqvarna forks and Suzuki Bandit wheel not getting on I could not fit the Suzuki speedo drive. So I fitted a Trailtech Vapor, absolute top piece of kit, also used the Morini ignition switch and as I rewound the alternator coils myself fitted a Royal Enfield ammeter to keep an eye on them>

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/ ... G_4540.jpg

The Ducati 996 silencers sounds and look good, also they tuck away nicely. I made the tail fairing from a sheet of perforated stainless steel using a vice mounted sheet metal bender.The fuel tank is from an 80's Honda FT500 and the rear light is from a Suzuki Hayabusa!>

The seat is a heavily modified single seat from a BMW R850R, I also recovered it in leather, assisted by my local shoe repairer who glued and stitched the patchwork of pieces for me to staple on>

Final views show the distinctive Morini 3 1/2 badge (as supplied by the Morini Owners club shop) and the front end sporting the Ducati 996 brembo 4 pot caliper and Ducati monster mudguard with my homemade bracket fastened to a Micron aluminium fork brace>

Thanks for viewing my updates hope to MOT Thursday now had to cancel the 3 previous attempts.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
huub

Post by huub »

nice bike,
and now to the most important bit of it all, how is the handling???

cheers,
hubert
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Huub

I will let you know, have not ridden it beyond my 2 mile abortive run last week. MOT tommorrow so need to just give it a shakedown run.

Regards

Robin
steve pegg

Post by steve pegg »

Looks Good Robin, you are going to confuse a lot of people who aren't already confused by Morinis. What is the story with the air filters? Where have they come from and how do you rate them? Good luck with the MOT.
Steve
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Steve,

Confusion yes, particularly if they try to find it on autotrader. In discussions I still refer to it as a Kanguro, which normally draws a blank look as only the Sport and Strada have been heard off.
MOT is passed despite the fact the bike was running on battery only as I suspect the Royal Enfield regulator has already died....I hope it has as if not it could be my coil rewinds or wiring to blame. The air filters are a brand called polini and they are an oiled foam type with an external shield, rating not entirely successful as I believe I am suffering from air turbulence as I cannot run full throttle depending on wind conditions, the engine will spin up freely offload. I noticed a flat spot early on so changed the stock 90 main jets for some 118 I had in a spare set of carbs, these might be to big as a sport runs only 115. So still have some tuning work to do, but it is quite close. Starting is spot on, use choke on one carb and am getting reliable first kick starting. When warm no choke and first kick starting. I have fitted the diode modification see my thread in the tre e mezzo section.

Regards

Robin
huub

Post by huub »

i would be amazed the regulator died already, the enfield has a more powerfull generator, so the regulator should be fine..
i have run a morini 3,5 with a zener diode , just like the old lucas , and that was no problem either.

i had the same turbulance problems with K&N filters, ended up fitting them as high as possible under the tank, wich solved the problem.

cheers,
hubert
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Huub

Yes, I am only assuming, it could be simply a connection come adrift or my hand wound coils have a problem. Regarding the air filters, thanks for the tip, I mocked up a crude deflector on the front one and it improved response so I know I am on the right track. Under my tank it is a bit crowded so I may end up making a sheet metal shield for each filter to allow still air to be drawn from behind them. Initial handling appears very good, steering is very response, I will adjust the front forks as they feel quite firm but I have compression and rebound adjustment and it is set for default Husqvarna SM610 currently.

Regards

Robin
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Huub

As you predicted royal enfield regulator ok, I went back through spade connections and soldered them. Possible poor connection not allowing sufficient current to be drawn. So charging appears to be ok now. Starting still excellent, first kick every time hot or cold. Used an old fork gaitor to make a couple of air filter shrouds, bike pulling better. Just need to work on a final design to allow a little more air flow to improve response. But have to say bike now at 90% and very happy, still getting used to handling but seems good initially.

Regards

Robin