Planning a 12v conversion

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
OogieBoogie

Planning a 12v conversion

Post by OogieBoogie »

Hi All,

Well its that time of year again when I put the Ducati to bed for the winter and break out the (t)rusty 'ro. This year the problems to be addressed before MOT time (in just over a month) are:

The headlights don't work...despite the bulbs being OK.

Rear brake is almost non existent...combination of badly scored drum and knackered cable adjuster.

First-off, I need to sort out the lights. I'm pretty sure the 12v circuit of the reg/rec is shot (lots of AC volts from grey alrenator wire, No 12v DC volts from grey wire comming out of the box) , so the solution is to convert to 12v.

I've been looking at 12V reg/rec boxes but can anyone tell me whether the alternator is single or 3 phase after doing the conversion? Both types of reg/rec are available quite cheaply, but which should I buy?

I'm ashamed to say that the Purchase of a Triumph 500 Daytona project has led me to neglect both the Italian Stallions this year, (and its still not finished).
'It must be a .....'

Re: Planning a 12v conversion

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, the easy 12v conversion is to connect the two wires from the three linked stator coils (old 6V charging circuit) to a single phase regulator of your choice.
The two linked stator coils (old 12V direct) are not used at all.
Then simply wire the headlight circuit (old 12V direct) from your handle bar switch into the new 12V circuit (old 6v circuit).
Fit a 12V battery and 12v bulbs and its done.
I've done this on a Camel that was also running a battery fed ignition system and it works fine.

There is also info on the Dutch club site on how to rewire the stator to use all the stator coils wich looks simple.

Good luck
Derek Wright

Re: Planning a 12v conversion

Post by Derek Wright »

Hi Oogie,
There is a simpler way if you are happy with the 6/12v system.
Been using my X Kanguro all year but not in the dark much, when it started getting dark early and needed lights, found the 12v headlamp blew in quick succession on dip & main. I had the opposite to you, about 28v coming out of the reg.
The 6v side was fine ( well, as fine as it can be). The solution was a 12v AC regulator from Trail Tech. Bought mine off Ebay but believe there are a number of sources. £16.00. Has variable output settings, comes with fitting instructions, set mine at 12v just in case.
Easy to fit, only 2 wires, one to earth, bypassed the old reg with a link wire between the 2 grey wires, to which I connected the second wire from the new reg. Thus the old reg serves the 6v DC and the trail tech controls the AC.
The Trail Tech model type is 010-ELV-106, its only a dinky little thing, fitted mine under the seat on top of the battery / reg compartment, using one of the bolts from the existing reg which protrudes through the top of the compartment.
There is also an earth terminal on the frame nearby so dead easy.Made a cover for it using old inner tube rubber to keep the muck off.Its been on for about 2 weeks now and works fine, also fitted a halogen bulb which helps a bit to.