Damaged Coguaro

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
100djy

Damaged Coguaro

Post by 100djy »

Hi, after 20 years with Laverda I have now returned to Morini with a 501 Coguaro unfortunately it has suffered some engine damage. The right hand main bearing/bush has gone and also the magnets inside the Kokusan rotor have broken away from the rotor.Is the rotor from the Dart, New York, Excaliber ect. the same as the Coguaro ? also what is involed in changing the main bearing/bush to the NU206 roller bearing ? and finally after inspecting one of the barrells I found a small area approx. 2mm x 2mm where it looks like the chrome has chipped and come away from the bore, should I be worried about this, is it possible to have them rechromed ? any advice welcome on these problems, thanks Dean.
MickeyMoto

Re: Damaged Coguaro

Post by MickeyMoto »

Buy yourself an RGS, you know it makes sense for a ride to South East France. At least you can carry your fallen comrade back when he breaks down with a knackered engine........

:lol:
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

100djy wrote:Hi, after 20 years with Laverda I have now returned to Morini with a 501 Coguaro unfortunately it has suffered some engine damage. The right hand main bearing/bush has gone and also the magnets inside the Kokusan rotor have broken away from the rotor.Is the rotor from the Dart, New York, Excaliber ect. the same as the Coguaro ? also what is involed in changing the main bearing/bush to the NU206 roller bearing ? and finally after inspecting one of the barrells I found a small area approx. 2mm x 2mm where it looks like the chrome has chipped and come away from the bore, should I be worried about this, is it possible to have them rechromed ? any advice welcome on these problems, thanks Dean.
Magnets coming loose is apparently something that can happen. If they're still in one piece they can be glued back in. All the Kokusan rotors are the same.

To install the roller bearing you need to get the crank ground down and the oilway plugged and plug the three little bearing installtion/extraction holes in the right hand case.

If you're run a bearing, then a full engine and strip is needed, the white metal particles get everywhere!

Where is the damage in the bore?

If it's in the area swept by the rings then I'd consider having the bore re-plated. It's not chrome by the way, but silicon carbide in a nickel matrix, hence Nikasil (which is a trade name). Gillardoni is the Italian equivilent.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
100djy

Post by 100djy »

Hi Paul, the magnets have broken into small pieces so can not glue them back unfortunately, I have completely stripped the motor so can clean it thoroughly. I think the white metal bush has been spinning in the bush holder as when I took the holder out the white metal bush was moving around inside the holder, the area of the bore is about 1/4 of the way from the top so is in the area swept by the rings :( Is it safe to take that much off of the crank to accept the roller bearing, it seams like a lot of metal has to be ground off the crank ?

Hi Mike what would I want an RGS for I am sure once the Coguaro is fixed it won't break down again and I may be able to repay the favor and give you a lift back from France on the back of it :) cheers Dean.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

[quote="100djy"]Is it safe to take that much off of the crank to accept the roller bearing, it seams like a lot of metal has to be ground off the crank ?[quote]

You're only converting the crank back close to the original 350 spec. Have a look at this thread; viewtopic.php?f=7&t=208

You probably don't want to go over about 12-13,000rpm after this conversion.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Dean,

Have you tried http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/home-1-0.html ?

They appear to manufacture stators, and being Japanese (Kokusan?) they may already make one.

Mike.
100djy

Post by 100djy »

Hi Mike, have just phoned them and after eventually getting through to a human being, its not on there list :!: so they can not help, if i can't find a solution it might end up on ebay, cheers Dean.
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

Hi, If you still need a kokusan alternator I have one that is surplus to requirements. Email me off line if you are interested.
Regards
Andy
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dean;

I rode a Coguaro once, owned by a chap from High Wycombe. Lovely bike, went really well, as good as the Excalibur without the ugly looks. I'm pretty sure that if the Factory had survived it would have done really well ~ the 501 engines were much, much nice than the original "500"s...

Good luck with the rebuild and we'll hopefully see it on the road next Spring.

Cheers,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Dean,

How is the rebuild going?

Mike.
100djy

Post by 100djy »

Hi Mike, crank has been machined to take the roller bearing and new big end shells and have managed to buy all the bearings, seals and gaskets for the rebuild also bought a new alternator/ stator and new pistons/rings ect... The front barrel has recently been rechromed all I need to do now is to put it all together !!!!, cheers Dean
ps going to the LcF rally on the 100 this year.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Good job it's only 25 miles from Cherbourg. Want me to take the RGS to give you a lift? Keith can tow the bike.... :lol:

Not sure if I'm going yet, but probably not.

Glad the real bike is getting along.

Mike.