Kanguro X, what battery?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
OogieBoogie

Kanguro X, what battery?

Post by OogieBoogie »

Hi early Kanguro owners,

I was silly enough to throw away the dead battery from my Kanguro when I took it off the road, now I'm not sure which 6v battery it takes. This is critical because the size of the battery box moulding in the inner sidepanel is just big enough for the battery so the next size up probably won't fit there.

can anyone help?
robinh44

Re: Kanguro X, what battery?

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Most online guide claim a 12v battery, but the Yuasa reference is a 6N2-2A. This looks reliable as it also refers to the old 500 enduro or early camel that took a 6v battery. Hope you get one sorted.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie »

Robin, did you convert your special to 12v battery? Do you know if it requires a different reg rec to convert?

I'm thinking there must be some pretty small dry 12v rechargable batteries available these days maybe I'll find something small enough to fit the Kanguro battery box.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Yes I did, you can convert to 12v by rewiring the stator plate coils, but you will need to change the reg/rec to a 12v one. I initially used a modern (indian made) royal enfield regulator/rectifier, it was ok but the regulator did not seem to good so I went to one made by MZ-B.

There is a link below to the article on the Morini NL club page detailing how to convert to 12v:-

http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/6-Volt-conversion.pdf

If you are ok with soldering it is a good conversion, and as you say you should have a wider choice of batteries. Remember also to change indicator, tail, stop and instrument bulbs to 12v! as I think only the headlamp runs on 12v under the 6v/12v system.

Robin
OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie »

Robin,

Thanks for the info, I'll look into converting to 12V.

Stu.
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

A Boyer Brandsen Powerbox is the solution on my Kanguro X and provides 12v electrics. The manufacturer's link is http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/Power_Box_Leaflet.pdf. I'll have a look tomorrow at the battery type and see if I can put a picture up. It's a neat setup.
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

Here's pictures of the PowerBox installed with a 'massive' 3Ah 12v battery. No need for complicated stator rewinds, just put bullet connectors on the end of the stator leads, connect up, and junk the rectifier. A snug fit, but a fit all the same.
Attachments
All in place
All in place
DSC00707.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 21596 times
PowerBox pulled out a bit to show how it goes in
PowerBox pulled out a bit to show how it goes in
DSC00708.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 21596 times
alan j

Post by alan j »

Some good "info" here! 12 volt conversion is a good idea as the 6volt system is a bit feeble!-the headlamp bulb, as everyone knows is12 volt and is powered directly!-a very strange mixed system! The original battery is the same as a Honda Melody-but they are now all made in China and rubbish! I have fitted one of those small round 3-cell types-will just fit the space and stay up well if you don't use the bike regularly. :D :D
stillooking

Post by stillooking »

Hi, I'm just looking at this thread out of curiosity and wonder whether it could be applied to my 350 sport- of course there's much discussion about ignition/charging etc about the 350's as well.

In this instance, what I can't understand is, why can't you run the Kanguro without a battery, my understanding is that the BoyerBransden power box can act as a capacitor, so why do you need one (a battery)? Do you need it to run certain equpt ?
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

The answer to your first question is yes. I obtained the bike with a blown engine (main bearing) and simply put in the engine from my fire-damaged Strada. So the PowerBox will accept 12v from the stator as well as 6v.

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery but I guess that at low revs the lights are liable to flicker, and of course not work at all if the engine isn't running (which you might want e.g. sidelight on for parking on a dark road, or taking out of garage at night).
stillooking

Post by stillooking »

Thanks Kangurada for your reply. That clarifies it for me...ah, so you're running a Strada engine in your Kanguro.

Can I ask have you left the coils/transducer thingy's as standard? If you had/have the std. electronic tachometer fitted would this have any effect? I guess not? As you can probably tell, I struggle with electrics... :)

You're right about when bikes are fitted with 'capacitor systems' - on Youtube there's a few examples of chopper lads with them fitted and at low revs the lights do flicker, but when they get going they are fine.
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

As the Strada engine has the red pickup I used the black Strada transducers. The Kanguro had the black pickup and grey transducers, and they can't be mixed and matched. The Strada revcounter worked, but its glass was too smoke damaged and it's needle bent by the heat to be much use, so I'm doing without. The Kanguro revcounter is of course gear-driven rather than electronic, and the Strada cam isn't machined to accept the drive end of the cable!
stillooking

Post by stillooking »

ah ha! I didn't know the Kanguro had a gear driven tacho - thanks :)
OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie »

Robin and Mikey,

Thanks for the advice (and parts!), I decided to go with the standard electrics for now.

Today I replaced the battery, swapped the petrol tap from my old tank to the new one, put tank, seat and silencer on, added some pertrol, kicked it over a couple of times with the ignition off. Switched on the ignition and bingo! it fired up first kick after 3 years in the shed.

It not only started, but is running very sweetly after I stripped and cleaned the carbs.

It's not all good news though, there's some problem with the wiring still, when I put the headlights on the LH indicators lit up too (not flashing), the headlamp was vey dim seems the 12 lighting circuit is leaking to the 6v system.

Didn't get started on that one yet, changed the oil and cleaned the chain instead. I need to get hold of a wiring diagram to sort the lectrics out.

Stu.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Stu,

Below is link to kanguro owners manual from 1984, there is a wiring diagram on the back page:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3c4q8g8sc ... uro_84.pdf

Also attached link to general Morini maintenance manual, useful for engine and general maintenance:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9lsghnlmx ... manual.pdf

Regarding you electrical problems it might be worth checking the earth points on the indicators and also the control switches for the indicators and headlamp. Also check all spade connectors. Let me know if I can help anymore.

ps hope the silencer was ok, does it sound good?

Regards

Robin