Kanguro X, what battery?

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
OogieBoogie

Re: Kanguro X, what battery?

Post by OogieBoogie »

Robin,

The silencer sounds great, not too loud even without an end baffle.

I spent most of the weekend preparing the bike for the road, had back wheel out and cleaned out the rear drum which is quite scored, unfortunately. It seems that bits of the steel from the drum have become embedded in the shoe material (I picked them out with a knife point!) I'll need to get the drum skimmed at some point soon but for now it seems to be working OK.

The swinging arm is quite rusty too, for now I have tried to stabilise and prime it but ultimately it will need to be blasted and repainted.

The biggest issue is still the electrics, I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. The wiring is very hard to figure out without a wiring diagram. Thanks for the PDF's hopefully they'll help. I looked in the switch and everything seems in good order there.

Do you know how to check the alternator coils? I do have a multimeter, but I'm not the best when it comes to electrics.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Stu

Glad the exhaust is ok. If the swing arm is badly corroded I still have the one from my Kanguro as an emergency replacement.
The morini riders club website has a good guide for checking the electrics, try the following link:-

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebi ... ystem.html

Remember this is based on the 12v system so the reading for current could be lower. When I was converting my system I took a resistance of the coils for the charging system and they read 1 ohm, after rewiring with new wire using the correct amount of turns based on the 12v system they read 0.8 ohm. Let us know how you get on, sounds like I may need to pop over.

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie »

Thanks for the links Robin.

I managed to get the electrics working with the help of the wiring diagram (my italian must be improving) and replaced a mumber of dodgy connectors which has resulted in the 6V system now working better that it ever has before in my 8 years of ownership.

Next stop MOT!
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Stu,

Great news and good work, your electrical skills can't be that bad. Let me know when you fancy a rideout before the first snows arrive!

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
adrian650

Re: Kanguro X, what battery? - Found it

Post by adrian650 »

Hi,

I'm on my second 12V battery in my X1 and have found a pretty neat one:

AMP9023 from

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/catalogse ... ?q=amp9023

is 12V 2.5Ah valve regulated and fits in the space of the OE 6V battery. Only £11! I eventually soldered onto the spade terminals as access was difficult and I had problems with a wire repeatedly falling off. With flying leads no problems.