PHBH 28 Jet Sizes for 501XE Camel

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Ted

Re: PHBH 28 Jet Sizes for 501XE Camel

Post by Ted »

I think before I order new jets, I want to do a bit more riding on the bike, but I also want to switch the needles from being on the 2nd ring from the top to being on the top ring. That should lean things out a bit as well and might help the running issue. It's an easy/quick enough swap to do. I threw in some 108 jets (the smallest I have a pair of) and, not surprisingly, didn't really notice a difference. I still haven't ridden it other than around the property.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I've spent the past month and change trying to tweak the jets on the PHBH 28 carbs on my 501XE Camel. I've made good progress on this.

I've reduced the main jets from 110s originally in the 28s down to 95s, and I've kept the X10 needles for the time being. Overall, the bike rides really well now. Above 55 MPH (as indicated on the speedometer, which may have questionable accuracy, I should compare it against a GPS) it feels like it's having more running issues. I've identified this to speed rather than to engine RPM or power being produced, and so I am thinking there is something air related going on with the air filter/intake that is changing up the inlet pressure the carbs are receiving.

Frankly, I tend to think anything above 55 MPH is ridiculous on this bike anyway, so I view that as not much of an issue. My riding on it is mostly around the property and on the dirt/gravel roads near me.

Starting is simple at this point. It starts on the first or second kick repeatedly, a benefit of both having working ignition and also better carbs/fueling.

The only other needles I have are X22s, which are a lot closer to the X18s specified than the X10s I have in there. I tend to think the extra taper those provide would be beneficial to running combined with leaner main jets (I have down to something in the mid 80s, so I've got room to go and could always order more jets if needed to get smaller).

Maybe at some point when I have the tank off anyway I'll play with that, but I can say that the combo overall works well for me.
norbert

Post by norbert »

With an original setting of the PHBH 28 BS (acording to the air filter system that is used) every 501 should at least reach 90 m/h without problems :wink:
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Just to add that since refitting the flowerpot ( but not the additional internal tube as shown on a parts diagram) and trying my level best to seal the joint in the airbox under the large jubilee clip on my Coguaro I am, somewhat conveniently, running 112 mains, the smallest I have tried, X18 needle on 2nd notch, 264BC atomisers and 42 idle jets and the bike is running the best it ever has. It was running on NGK BP8ES plugs but I tried BP7ES and this was fine. I briefly reverted to BP8ES and it did not run as well.
I bet no one is running the same settings on these bigger motors.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I,ve also always run BP7ES till I changed to BP7EVX (this ones are dificult to find, I think they arer not produced anymore, a pity).
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'll do some more playing around and seeing what I can find. But, the bike is running better than it ever has under my ownership thus far, so that's a good thing.

EFI is so much easier to tune... once you get it set up. :)