more kanga questions

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
tried-them-all

more kanga questions

Post by tried-them-all »

OK, the strada engine is in the kanguro frame and running! I wish I done this 20 years ago, the first ride was very promising...what have i been missing?

The first problem is the chain run - the chain is rubbing on the swing arm top and bottom, suggesting the shock maybe too long... anybody care to give me a shock length for the X1? ** I just did a measure of the kanga and 501 shocks - and they are both 420mm, so there's my clearance problem! I have a shock from my r80g/s that is about 360mm and the only mono shock to hand, so that will get put in tomorrow to see how the chain clearance improves... ****

I need new chain roller and swing arm protectors which I may be able to get from the USA - anyone used other make parts?

Also, the right side crankcase has locating dowels on 2 bolt holes, presumably for the electric start sidecover to lock into. I need to remove them to use the kanguro right side cover. Are they easy to remove? - my first attempt has failed - before I get to the point where I have to pull parts off to get purchase on the little buggers I'd like to get some advice....

The flywheel/stator/cover was missing so I didn't see the dowels, however does an electric start 350 help date the engine?

Lastly, has anyone got a pic/measurement of the muffler support bracket that is under the right side cover. It looks like I can make a flat strap to do the job?

thanks, Phii in Oz.
hendre

Re: more kanga questions

Post by hendre »

there is a big topic on X1 shock length: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3001
tried-them-all

Post by tried-them-all »

yes there is, but it doesn't tell me the original X1 shock length (unless it is 13.5 inches as first stated - seems too short) or indeed the shock travel, both of which would be helpful when finding a replacement....
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

390mm is what the X and X1 had, then 410 and 420 on X2 and X3.
The extra few mm makes a massive difference in seat height and was a popular 'jack up' option in the olden days when we were younger and could lift a leg that far.
Hagon and YSS are options and are also mentioned in various topics here. When I was in India last time I met an Aussie called David Burnett who is in the suspension biz in a big way. His riding mates said he was one of the best in Oz. Even when he wasn't in earshot! He recently moved house to Tasmania but I think his business still operates. Maybe he or another suspension supplier on your island could help out?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Those dowels usually come out when you don't want them to, but yes they should be a firm fit in the crankcase. A bit of heat from a hot-airgun should help but obviously they may get mullered if really tight.
Chain rollers are something I've yet to find an easy supply of, at least that don't make a loud whirring noise, and with a 10mm ID. There are lots listed in MX bike shops.
The swingarm pivot had a nylon pad as a protector. I have a complete undamaged one but it is very old and too brittle to use. I'm keeping as a pattern till I find someone willing to 3D print them. Lots of peoplt get a block of suitable modern nylon and cut their own out.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
tried-them-all

Post by tried-them-all »

thanks steve

I put in the bmw shock for a laugh - at least I can get both feet on the ground! Someone has put in the longer 420mm shock and welded pads on the bottom of the centre stand, and made a longer/stronger side stand - all good mods I suppose, but I have the 501 as my tall morini and would prefer to have a lower 350.

Does the X1 have a square tube centre stand, or what is the distance from the bottom of the leg to pivot bolt? I need to ask for a front fork length as well just to see if that has been substituted along the way.

I'll get a chain protector from Hermy's as I have nothing on any of the bikes. The chain rollers (both kanga and camel) broke up as soon as chain pressure was applied! - but I'll be able to make replacements if a skateboard wheel doesn't work...
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

https://www.morinispecial.it/79-gini/17 ... i-eng.html

Gini has some tensioners here that you might want to look into.

BTW, US post is so terrible to NZ at the minute I'm ordering everything I need from the UK. I hope Australia is better!
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
tried-them-all

Post by tried-them-all »

thanks dom

post from USA is slow to us too, but I just got some parts from India in 15 days! I sold a previous 501 camel to NZ in 2006, I hope you didn't end up with it?!
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Ha, no - but I possibly know who did!
;)
MRC 3082½
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

No. Not me if that's who you were thinking of. But did bring two in a few years ago from the US. Intrigued to hear there might be another in the shaky isles.