X3 carbs

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Firingonone

X3 carbs

Post by Firingonone »

A few of questions, I have a Kanguro x3. Does a Kanguro 2 or1 tank fit?. The reason I am asking is the carb enricher leavers are so in accessable.
There are so many pieces of tubing from the carb, what do they all do ? my strada has far fewer(and at present runs much better!)
. I have seen references to" blocked off balance pipes " improving running, should I do this? Which ones do I block and with what ?
Can the balance pipes be connected to a vacuum gauge to balance the carbs or do I need to make (plugged) holes in the inlet rubber?
Ming

Re: X3 carbs

Post by Ming »

I don't know about tank interchangeability, but I had an X2 with all the pipework you mention. I can't say I found the enricheners too much of a problem, but then I never needed to use them for long, so I could close them before riding off. The balance pipes also feed the vacuum tap on the X2, so blocking off the balance pipe would prevent that working - unless you just connect one carb to the tap and blank the other. Similarly, you could connect your vac gauge / manometer to the balance pipe connections as long as you used the reserve tap position, then reconnect the balance pipe afterwards, or blank off the pipe, change the fuel tap and run like that.
Hope that helps.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I am not sure why people call them balance pipes - the Dell'Orto carburettor of type VHBZ 25HS
as fitted to later bikes have a vacuum take off point to operate vacuum petrol taps where fitted.
Remember V twin Morinis have two Sinister (left handed) carbs
hence two vacuum take offs but only one is really needed for the vacuum tap.

I always clamp them off when there is no vacuum tap as do many others as on a Morini 250/350/500
they are not needed to balance the carburettors.
Leaks in this are noticeable by the creeping upwards of the idle speed after stopping
They can be used to connect to vacuum gauge or u-tube manometer for throttle balancing,
and there is no need to make holes in the inlet rubbers.
Very much later carbs with black plastic caps have two smaller overflow pipes (brass), in place of the holes previously

The enricher can be converted to cable operation - parts are available from Euro carb in the UK I think.

Long time since I had an X3...cant remember whether it had levers or cables for the enricher.

Mark
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

It is quite easy to fit the large tank on the earlier square tube frame Kanguro by fabricating a front mount (bolt on or welded), yet fitting the small tank on the later frame requires the removal of the welded on front mount (the smaller tank's mounts simply bolt on) and finding a new location for the larger battery, There are no issues with the air box etc.
Sorry but I have no experience of the initial round tube Kanguros X/X1 but I think the air box is the same?
Hope this helps, have fun
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My X3 had remote choke control. It is much better than the flip levers; controls both equally, more adjustable rather than on/off, can set off with choke on if required...

On my 501 I have a pipe on the take off which is blanked by a bolt. Easy to pull out from under tank and attach the vacuum gauges. One of the other pipes is an overflow from the float bowl.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Thanks for your help. It is so tight under the tank to release the enhancers i can't do it with gloves on! I will be able to balance the carbs and sort out the pipe work. I hadn't come across Eurocarb before either , most useful.